• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega Fono MM MK5 vs Darlington Labs MM6B

Cam99

New Member
Done a little bit of reading in my search for a phono pre-amp to match by Rega Planner 3 50th anniv with a Rega Exact cartridge. I've got a few different amps to try but looking to run Cayin mt-35, in a smallish listening room. There are heaps of phono preamps around, but my thinking is the Rega MM MK5 will perform well with Rega TT and look great sitting ontop of Rega power supply ;-) and the other option based on reviews & forums seems to be Darlington Labs MM6. I'm in Aust so Rega looks like $499 AUD and Darlington looks like $650 AUD. Does anyone have some direct experience with either or both of these phono pre-amps, or should I just start with something cheaper like a Schiit mani2 for ~$300 AUD
 
Register to hide this ad
I've owned the MP-7 and the Rega MM MK5. I prefer the Rega unit with my Planar 6. Especially with the price difference for you I don't think you can go wrong with the Rega unit. For years I fiddled with my phono equipment, swapping out turntables, phono amps and cartridges often. Once the Planar 6 and MM MK5 were in place I was happy to leave well enough alone and it's now been ~two years since I made any changes.
 
The iFi Zen Phono is a really good technical design, with excellent specs, especially for such an affordable component, and it is very likely the quietest phono-pre under $500USD. John Curl was involved in the circuit design, so it also has a decent pedigree. I'd recommend it to anyone on a limited budget. Mine is in a box somewhere.

I personally prefer a preamp with discrete internal components, as opposed to op-amp designs. For this reason, I went with the Darlington Labs MP-7. I also tend to agree with their high working voltage, no feedback, design philosophy. I work in electronics, as a quality control specialist, and I'm quite satisfied with the build quality, and the parts choices. It really does sound very good!

I've never heard the Rega, so I can't offer any insight, but I don't think you could really go wrong, either way.
 
I've had the MM6 but upgraded to the MP7. No experience with the Rega or others. The DL sound is expansive, highly detailed but smooth and unaggressive. Pairs well with cartridges that are upfront with a forward presentation like the AT VM and Ortofon 2M, IMO, so cartridge choice could be a factor in the choice. Either way, I would not place a phono stage of any kind on top of a power supply.
 
Last edited:
I've had the MM6 but upgraded to the MP7. No experience with the Rega or others. The DL sound is expansive, highly detailed but smooth and unaggressive. Pairs well with cartridges that are upfront with a forward presentation like the AT VM and Ortofon 2M, IMO, so cartridge choice could be a factor in the choice. Either way, I would not place a phono stage of any kind on top of a power supply.
Yeah good call on the power supply placement
 
FWIW, I replaced both of the Exact 2 cartridges on my 2016 P3 and 50th anniversary P3 with AT-VM540ML and 740 ML cartridges. The SQ improved dramatically, those Rega carts are really not very good. The phono preamps used were a Schiit Skoll and a Parasound JC3 Jr (Skoll is way better).
 
Take a look at eBay and you'll find the Darlington mm6b for a mere $199. I had the earlier mm6 and found it far superior to any other phono preamp I've tried out under $500. To the point that I sent my mm6 back to Darlington who is now turning it into an mm8b which I fully expect will be my end game phono preamp.

Personally, I never liked the iFi preamp very much, and I tried it twice!
 
Take a look at eBay and you'll find the Darlington mm6b for a mere $199. I had the earlier mm6 and found it far superior to any other phono preamp I've tried out under $500. To the point that I sent my mm6 back to Darlington who is now turning it into an mm8b which I fully expect will be my end game phono preamp.

Personally, I never liked the iFi preamp very much, and I tried it twice!

I can only see MM6b's on ebay for $399 USD
 
I can only see MM6b's on ebay for $399 USD
You are correct, I was confused a bit. Darlington does sell an MM5A for $199, which is a slightly decontended MM6B. I totally loved my MM6, so a slightly lesser MM5A sounds quite appealing to me still and I may well buy one for my other system. Keith Richardson from Darlington replied to my query about the MM5A thusly: "The MM5A is a slightly different total package than the MM6B, nearly as good in sound quality but not quite."

From their eBay listing for the MM5A, see more here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193759333606

"WHAT IS THE MM5A AND HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OUR MM6B?

THE MM5A IS A CURRENT MM6B THAT HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF ALL USER ADJUSTMENT, AND IT USES A MORE INEXPENSIVE MAIN J-FET FOR GAIN THAN OUR MM6B, MP7B OR MP8B PRODUCTS, WHICH USE HAND-SELECTED NOS HIGH-VOLTAGE J-FETS. THE MAIN VOLTAGE RAIL ON THE MM5A IS 60VDC WHEREAS IT IS 68VDC ON THE MM6B AND MP7B AND 70VDC ON THE MP8B. IT ALSO LACKS THE ABILITY TO OPERATE IN A BALANCED-OUTPUT MODE AS DO OUR HIGHER-END UNITS.

Q: HOW DOES IT SOUND COMPARED TO THE MM6B?
A: NOT AS GOOD. WE CAN'T QUANTIFY THE DIFFERENCE FOR YOU. We don't advertise and only use word-of-mouth, so the fact that we offer this for sale means that we think it represents a very high sonic value for the money."
 
I just received my MM5-B a couple of weeks ago and it's a huge upgrade from my Mac C33, which lots of people seem to like. The dynamics, black background, phase coherency, and presence of the instruments is just wonderful.

There was a note on the invoice stating that it was built on an MM6-B board, but I'm not sure what that means. Keith has not responded to my emails, but I can only think it's a good thing. I think it was because I had to wait for a couple of months for it to be shipped.

Turntable: Sansui SR-525 with Grado Gold 3.

I bought a Schitt Mani 2, which ASR rates as superior by far, to tide me over while I waited and the MM5-B blows it away. The Schitt had some really weird stuff going on in the 4-8khz region that made cymbals sound funny.

Now I want a second for my home studio setup!
 
Back
Top Bottom