• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega Planar 2 Stylus Replacement

davidjames

New Member
I'm fairly new to turntables and recently purchased an older Rega Planar 2. The turntable sounds and works great; however, as I'm unsure of the age of the stylus, I've been considering replacing it.

The current stylus looks very similar to the Audio Technica ATN95E, though it doesn't seem to have the logo on the front as others I have seen do.

If I were to replace it with the ATN95E, would it be as simple as pulling off the current stylus and replacement it with the new one, or would the tonearm need to be rebalanced as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-15116420-ATN95E-Replacement-Stylus/dp/B001IEPNN6

Alternatively, what other replacement stylus would you recommend for the cartridge?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The current stylus looks very similar to the Audio Technica ATN95E, though it doesn't seem to have the logo on the front as others I have seen do.

Could be a replacement stylus from LP Gear. Their house brand replacements don't have the AT logo for obvious reasons. Your stylus may not be that old, but as a replacement the ATN95HE might be a worthwhile step-up. The JICO stylus is more money, but another potential candidate.

jeff
 
Jeff,

Thanks for your response. The ATN95HE looks like a great option, but seems as though it's been replaced by the ATN-95VL. At the price point ($89.95), would you get consider the ATN-95VL or the Ortofon 2M Red a better option?

Thanks again!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom