• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rega Planet CDP not working

Cabdiver

Member
The Rega Planet that I bought a couple of years back worked fine until one day it wouldn't turn on - no lights, nothing. I plugged another CDP into the same outlet and set-up and it worked fine. I took the Rega down to my work bench, plugged it in and it worked perfectly, played a CD w/o problem. So, back upstairs, plugged it in and again nothing. Back downstairs, the lights came on, but then faded to black after a few seconds.

I did some reading and learned that the 1N 4403 diodes are often a problem with this player, so I bought some 1N4004 diodes (which I've read are a suitable replacement for the 1N4003s) and replaced the old ones. Plugged it in and - tadaa - the lights came on. Only now it won't read a CD. A new problem. Not much for believing in coincidence, I figure I screwed something up, especially since I discovered the odd three-wire, tucked through the little plastic thingy on the loading mechanism. I have no idea where this thing goes, and no idea if it has anything to do with the disc-reading problem.

As an under-educated hobbyist, I've cleaned the lens, remelted a few suspect solder joints and re-lubed the laser mechanism rail, none of which helped. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help with this. Thank you all, as always!DSCN3739.JPG DSCN3742.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Good question. I gather that different R Planet sub-models run these wires differently. The small terminus where the wires terminate (and which has a small transistor attached) appears to have been connected somewhere, though I can find no place on the chassis or transport mechanism for it. I obviously wasn't expecting this when I disassembled it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
So, if the Hall sensor is reading a magnetic force, I suppose that means it should be attached somewhere for it to work properly. And if it doesn't, might it keep the mechanism from reading the disc? Fun concept, in the abstract anyway.
 
I actually don't know exactly where it attaches, as I have not been inside a  Death Star  Planet.

That kind of sensor detects a magnetic field, though, and the mech lid is magnetic, so...
 
Good info - thanks! The bit of plastic that holds the Hall sensor appears to have some glue residue on it. I'll hunt again for a place this may have been connected.
 
I noticed a small indent in the plastic clip that I had thought merely held the three wires, but if you tilt the Hall sensor a bit it just fits in, with the mini-board and solder points hanging down. I'll attach a couple of pics. Oh, and now it sings! Thank you cpt_paranoia and audiotemp! That was so helpful - I love the AK community.DSCN3752.JPG DSCN3750.JPG
 
Can't believe it was originally fitted like that, at a weird angle, but it must be roughly in the right place to sense the door closing.
 
The actual sensor is held tightly in the enclosure formed when the plastic clip is screwed into position. The mini-board (?) hangs at an angle. It's possible to remove the entire platter (that holds the CD and the laser mech.) without removing this, but it's tricky and I certainly didn't know that when I first opened the unit up. So I don't know what it originally looked like. I'm definitely happy to have the thing playing music again!
 
The Rega Planet that I bought a couple of years back worked fine until one day it wouldn't turn on - no lights, nothing. I plugged another CDP into the same outlet and set-up and it worked fine. I took the Rega down to my work bench, plugged it in and it worked perfectly, played a CD w/o problem. So, back upstairs, plugged it in and again nothing. Back downstairs, the lights came on, but then faded to black after a few seconds.

I did some reading and learned that the 1N 4403 diodes are often a problem with this player, so I bought some 1N4004 diodes (which I've read are a suitable replacement for the 1N4003s) and replaced the old ones. Plugged it in and - tadaa - the lights came on. Only now it won't read a CD. A new problem. Not much for believing in coincidence, I figure I screwed something up, especially since I discovered the odd three-wire, tucked through the little plastic thingy on the loading mechanism. I have no idea where this thing goes, and no idea if it has anything to do with the disc-reading problem.

As an under-educated hobbyist, I've cleaned the lens, remelted a few suspect solder joints and re-lubed the laser mechanism rail, none of which helped. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help with this. Thank you all, as always!View attachment 2502659 View attachment 2502661
I am having trouble with my Planet not reading discs. When I put the clamp down, it won't always spin the disc. When it does, the puck seems to wobble and make a loud tsk tsk tsk noise. I think the magnetic clamp may not be aligned properly. Does anyone know if the loose end of the long white ribbon shown in the picture above connects to anything? Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom