• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rek o Kut Rondine platter bearing?

SchweinHaus

Well-Known Member
Hi there,
I'm looking into a Rek O Kut Rondine, and it says it needs a platter bearing. A deck that old probably needed it anyway, but I'm concerned about the availability and the cost. Does anybody know where I can find one and what I can expect to spend on it?
THanks,
Brett
 
Register to hide this ad
Couple of threads here about the right size and material to use for the bearing. Do a search and you should find them
 
If it's missing the ball bearing that goes in the bottom of the shaft bearing, a cheap 1/4" steel ball from Ace Hardware will get you started just fine.
 
Hey
Just go to a hardware store of your choice. Is the old bearing still there? If so just get a matching size bearing. If you don't you'll have to do a bunch of reading in the rek o kut thread in the turntable forum it's under "brand specific thread ". Or you could just buy one of each size from 1/4 up a couple of sizes.
Some moved up to ceramic bearings but think I'd figure out what size is correct before sending off for one.
I can't remember is that table belt drive or idler?
If belt is the belt there? The bearing you use will raise or lower where the belt / idler rides not to mention the angle on your tonearm height.
Most use 20 weight oIL just enough to cover the bearing.
Sorry for the confusion on the bearing size. But there seem to be lots of different opinions of what is the correct size for which table. Good luck. Eric
 
Hi there,
I'm looking into a Rek O Kut Rondine, and it says it needs a platter bearing. A deck that old probably needed it anyway, but I'm concerned about the availability and the cost. Does anybody know where I can find one and what I can expect to spend on it?
THanks,
Brett
go through the threads and find the size ball you most expect it to be. also inspect the spindle end for wear or damage. I should have an M5 grade ball that will fit it
 
it needs a platter bearing
SchweinHaus, everyone has assumed you were asking about the ball bearing at the bottom of the bearing cylinder — and their answers were all correct.

Or did you mean the entire bearing assembly? Big difference.

I had a Rek-o-Kut not too long ago and the entire bearing was bad. Lots of rumble through the speakers. Couldn't fix it. Gave the TT away. Big disappointment. I wrote about it at length on another "Rondine" threat — you can easily find it.

The ball is easy, but If the entire bearing assembly is dodgy — think twice. Or search for a replacement.
 
If the turntable had been shipped with the platter in place, then, yes, the entire assembly may be damaged.

But more than likely, it's just the ball bearing.
 
Hi there,
I'm looking into a Rek O Kut Rondine, and it says it needs a platter bearing. A deck that old probably needed it anyway, but I'm concerned about the availability and the cost. Does anybody know where I can find one and what I can expect to spend on it?
THanks,
Brett

Summary:
  • If your platter has built-in pop up 45 RPM adaptor, you may need a 1/4" ball bearing.
  • If your platter does not have the pop-up 45 RPM adaptor, you may need a 15/32 ball bearing.

I have two Rek O Kuts and I discovered the platter spindle "length" varied over the production run -- but the spindle well remained the same depth throughout (I measured it). This means, depending on the production era of your table, the ball bearing size may differ from other production eras.

My theory is that in the late 1950s when ROK incorporated the pop up 45 rpm adapter on the platter, this mechanism forced lower placement of the spindle (hence a smaller ball bearing for these models). And when ROK deleted the pop up adapter in the early 1960s, the spindle moved "upward."

(Technically, It may be that the spindle was the same lengthy throughout the production run, but 45 RPM adaptor just forced it lower in early models.)

So in conclusion: early ROK Rondine platters with 45 rpm pop adapter use a smaller bearing and later versions sans RPM adapter use a larger bearing.
 
Last edited:
But more than likely, it's just the ball bearing.
Hope so. You're probably right. But my ROK was not just the ball bearing. Maybe it had been run without oil. Both bearing surfaces were marred. Polishing them, inside and out, only helped a little. New ball-bearing made no difference, different grades of oil from light to heavy made no difference. Nothing did. Even tried lithium grease.

Mine was probably a one-off. Bearings are the ruggedest part of a TT, I never had a problem with Thorens, Linn, Ariston, Empire, Micro-Seiki or other bearings. But after that ROK I don't take things for granted. I check.
 
What's the best way to polish the bearing on the platter stem? By bearing I'm referring to the metal on the platter stem that spins on top of the ball bearing. Would such polishing have to be done on a lathe? Or could you do it with a dremel?
 
Back
Top Bottom