• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rek-o-kut S320 tonearm for Empire 598 TT

Register to hide this ad
I also would appreciate any feed back on this arm for use with a 598

This is becuase based on my elementary understanding of both empires and TTS the empire 208 is usally the table which gets new arms due to easeier install
 
I can't remember who makes it (Jelco?) but that looks like an arm available elsewhere under different names, but also it looks like a high quality arm. But it's not cheap. I'd nose around a bit before deciding. New has its virtues, but used might be less expensive.
 
It is a Jelco made tonearm. And takes JIS/SME type headshells. And recommended for this job. Headshells a lot more available too and cheaper than Empire cartridge mounts too.
 
THIS has my attention!! A quick comparison with the 990 arm's specs show the two to be very, very, VERY close in length, offset, stylus to pivot, and overhang. Any differences are on the order of one or two millimeters. (I don't have a measurement for the mounting hole size on the 598.

This may even work for the 698!

If it truly works in this application, this may be the buy of a lifetime for those with 598's without the cartridge mounting plate or other arm issues!
 
This arm is intriguing if it is a "drop in" replacement. Correct me if im wrong but i thought that the 598/698 series requires some mods to use with non-empire 980 arms. If this solves the problem, great.

Of course if one uses the arm, i think you would have to give up the mega cool dyna lift function. Something ive been playing with a lot but have not been able to function anyway....

As such is the ebay jelco arm less expensive? The rek o Cut one is not cheap, pricier then i paid for my 598 altogether.

I was going to try and obtain an 208 beater and use restore that with a new arm and other mods etc and keep the 598 for the cool looks and auto lift....but this arm may throw a wrench in that plan.....whose going to be the guinea pig on this one?
 
Oh man.. thanks for that page.. I was looking around for a 16" arm for my Rek-o-Kut, and that's so far the cheapest 16" arm I've found... but I'm thinking still outta my price range, but it is nice to see someone making them.
 
This arm is intriguing if it is a "drop in" replacement. Correct me if im wrong but i thought that the 598/698 series requires some mods to use with non-empire 980 arms. If this solves the problem, great.

The issue has always been finding an arm with the same post diameter and the same length and offset. so it would fit, align a cartridge correctly, and not bump into the back board that holds the dust cover hinges. Up until now, I hadn't heard of an arm that met with all these requirements. That's why it's been a bear trying to come up with easy arm alternatives for the 598/698.

At least on paper, the Jelco arm does match very closely when I compared the specs. I agree..who among us *is* going to be the first? :)
 
interesting. I have a spare 208 top plate/platter/motor that I was going to put in my console. This could work out really well. I've seen this arm as a Jelco (and could get it cheaper as such I think)...are they all the same length no matter the brand attached?
 
Back
Top Bottom