• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

remagnetizing alnico speaker magnets for better speaker performance

I read somewhere a few years ago that 'remagnetizing alnico speaker magnets' will improve the speakers performance. It has something to do with when you play speakers with alnico magnets 'loudly', the magnets, over time, get out of 'magnetic allignment' or something like that. But, it was stated that this can be easily resolved by re-magnetising them, then they would be as good as new!

1. Have any of you guys ever re-magnetized your alnico magnets, or heard about this????
2. Did you notice any difference in sound quality of the specific alnico magnet speaker??
3. Is it worth doing if you were doing a speaker system refirbrishment? :scratch2:

As always, your help is most appreciated.
Bringing it back.

One of the suggestions here, for testing, is checking the Fs of the speaker in question. Makes sense, but if you don't have the equipment to do so, is there an alternative method?

This post isn't that old, and I'm sure not much has changed, but maybe a list of sources is now known for places that can remag speakers? Based on info here it would appear that DIY is likely out of the question?

I own a number of Alnico drivers, but all used so I have no way of knowing precisely if they have deteriorated or not, nothing to go on since I didn't buy them new. Sound wise the performance seems to be acceptable, and matches what I've read.

Is it reasonable to assume that if the speaker performs noticeably poorly, then maybe it's time for remag? Would it be wise to do sets, to ensure balance? Just because only one is failing doesn't mean the other is on it's way out, but why risk it?
 
Very interesting. Now I know something about it. Hope this thread keeps going for awhile. Interesting.

Didn't know you had to take the magnet off of the speaker...disasembly and re-assembly.


I wonder how this would effect the sound quality of 40 year old alnico speakers??? As in...would it really be worth it to do this project, or just leave them alone, as is, in a speaker refirbrishment?
Taking them apart will result in losing some or all magnetic properties , so unless one can have them remagnetized it's not recommended to disassemble the Tannoy Alnico magnets.
 
Last edited:
This thread has got me thinking.
I replaced the 13 inch bass units in my B&W DM70's with 8 ohm Leak Sandwich drivers and they have the alnico magnets. Those units must be from the early 60's, so now I wonder if I should have them done.
Who in the UK might do this?
 
I have a pair of altec Lansing model ones original series and they are very bassy but I feel they may be the best speakers ive ever heard and the easiest to listen to at low volumes with a a 36 watt amp not pushed past 11 o'clock position.
blues, jazz and old time radio sounds perfect with them . I even listen to Metallica and rush with them and can hear and FEEL every note of geddy Lee's bass. the speakers are in the living room on wood stools and I can feel the bass rolling thru the floors while in the other room soooo , if mine are demagnetized or not they sound awesome. in any case I've read that the amount an alnico speaker can become demagnetized is about 1 percent so most people would hardly notice any degradation.
beside that I have an old table radio from 1970 that has an alnico speaker in it that also produces some really deep bass perfect for those old shows and blues.
it seems to me that the deep bass is just a character of alnico speakers and a very good one at that . who would notice even a maximum degradation of 5 percent anyway?

all that said I wouldn't know if they will distort or get boomy with high volumes because I haven't abused them like that yet .
I'll try one day but I live in an apartment so I have to be mindful of other tenants.
they seem to be the perfect speaker as is though. no need for subwoofer and kd lang or hard rock sounds natural.
I'll just add that I actually put aside my large Advents and just listen to the altecs now however, like the rest of you I've fallen victim to words I've read telling me my alnico speakers MUST be boomy so I have to prove to myself they either are or aren't but again , can we hear that 1-5 percent degradation?
I doubt it .
isn't having bass you can feel the desirable objective? bass players want you to feel the bass even if from a stand up bass.
 
Back
Top Bottom