• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Remember when MTV played music?

ShaneC

Super Member
Yesterday I picked up the Alice in Chains MTV unplugged DVD, remembering how good that was...and then seeing how messed up Layne Staley was... :(

Then I got to thinking...why don't they do stuff like that anymore? Most of the unplugged sessions were great, I'm sure they made some money off the CD and video sales...I think most of the shows were only w/ a crowd of like 400 people or so, so there wasn't alot of background noise either. Plus live sets were always 100x better than most of the videos.

What happened?
 
Register to hide this ad
Versus what it was like when I first watched it in 1983 when it first came out, MTV sucks. Music Television my a$$. More like BS Reality TV.
 
IIRC, I saw the 1st video live in ???? "Video Killed the Radio Star" the Buggles still have Adventures in Modern Recording on vinyl:D My fav is "On TV" though! Or do I have that screwd up?
 
I was watching when they first came on the air in 1982.

Video Killed The Radio Star.

Pretty prophetic, and now just pathetic, except for the resurrected Headbanger's Ball.
 
MTV begat VH1

And VH1 came upon the scene as an alternative that showed more adult audience oriented music videos.

Used to be a pleasant channel to watch. Look what it's evolved into! :yuck:

And now VH1 does these "I love the 80's" shows.

A bunch of smart-aleck stupid cynical remarks about a period of time when most of the contributors were still in diapers. If you "love" the 80s, just show the videos from the 80s and leave the "I'm so witty" smart-aleck remarks off!
 
Much Music was a good station, it was based out of Canada, used to show a crap load of vids. Even went into some of the more obsucre stuff, as well as a huge assortment, instead of just the same 10 over and over....
 
MTV and VH1 have pretty much sucked for over a decade. When MTV got rid of Headbanger's Ball and Beavis & Butthead ended that was the end for me. For a while there was a station called The Tube that played nothing but music videos. We used to get it here in Portland over the air on one of the digital channels and I was in heaven for the few short months I was able to watch. Sadly they ran into financial problems and had to shut it down. I don't think I had been that bummed about losing a show or channel in many years.

http://thetubetv.com :(
 
Back in 83 I think I watched more to see the video jockey. What was her name?
Blond short hair. kept hesitating when she spoke.
???:scratch2:
 
Anyone remember the MTV show 120 Minutes with Matt Pinfield? That was a great show. I discovered some awesome music with that one. I used to really like Headbanger's Ball back in the day as well. I haven't watched MTV in about 10 years (I don't even have it on cable). They really started going down hill when they put the "reality" shows on.
 
Back in 83 I think I watched more to see the video jockey. What was her name?
Blond short hair. kept hesitating when she spoke.
???:scratch2:

Nina Blackwood was the blonde, Martha Quinn was the brunette, J.J. Jackson (who died in 2004 at 62 years old) Alan Hunter and Mark Goodman. That's the original 5.

Alan Hunter was the first "VJ" face that was seen on MTV in August 1981.
 
Early MTV played Zeppelin, Hendrix, Doors, Stones, The Clash, of course Van Halen among others. After about 83 they were awful. And so was, is most music.
 
Nina Blackwood was the blonde, Martha Quinn was the brunette, J.J. Jackson (who died in 2004 at 62 years old) Alan Hunter and Mark Goodman. That's the original 5.

Alan Hunter was the first "VJ" face that was seen on MTV in August 1981.

Oh yes, the lovley Nina.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom