• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Remote control volume pot for my DIY passive pre?

Redboy

a few good watts
How hard would it be for me to add a remote volume control to my DIY passive pre? Does anyone sell a volume pot with the associated gadgetry for this type of thing?

Seems like I'd be looking for a 100K stereo pot w/ some sort of IR controlled motor, run off a wall wart.

Here's my passive:

attachment.php
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Redboy,

You got me thinking....

I am building a preamp as well and was looking for remote solutions. I think i might go with a motorized potentiometer much like that on DIYcable, if not that one exactly. 50K is a good value to go into a 6SN7 grid. Then use an infrared receiver chip here: http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/IR-D15A.htm to control with a simple motor circuit and universal remote. The chip could also control some source selection relays with little extra bit of discrete logic. I was gonna use a noble stepped pot, but i really hate having to get out of my couchgroove to change the volume:drool:
 
I have one "in the works". It's a stepped solution, tho, and rather than use relays it's going to have a rotary switch. I'll share more if/when more progress is made!
 
All right, these are some good suggestions fellas!

Has anyone tried this already? Seems like such a simple solution I wonder why I didn't hit on it before.
 
I would be very leery about dealing with welborne labs. You could do searches on here and AA and find several feedback reports.
 
Back
Top Bottom