• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repair in central/southern Missouri

TTsTurn

New Member
Hello all. Does anyone know of any repair shops that can service or repair receivers, turntables, etc in central or southern Missouri? I'm looking around Springfield, Jefferson City, Columbia, etc. Kansas City and St Louis are a bit of a drive and I would like to find somewhere closer. Thanks

Jimmy
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello Jimmy,

One of the best electronics repairs around is Pioneer Audio Visual in Columbia. They are at 1414 Rangeline Street, just south of I-70. Their number is 573-442-1080.

Since you don't mention exactly what you have, I can't say that the can or would work on that specifically, but you may want to call and talk to Fred or David and discuss specifically what you need to see if they can help.

Happy listening.
 
Jimmy, Echowars is one of the best solid state techs in the country, and he is in the KC area. I use mike missel a lot in St. Louis, he is a very good generalist who loves turntables and tube gear.

You can't go wrong with either, and if you come to St. Louis you have the added benefit of hearing my system if you want.
 
Second the Echowars recommendation, although he's a one man shop and is often backed up a few years. :D I kid, sorta.

I don't know of anyone other than Pioneer in Col-Jeff City area. I tinker myself but I'm not good enough to take in work. I've been known to give a little hands on advice if someone wants to learn though.
 
Thanks for the tips! I would like to find someone in the Springfield Missouri area, but I don't think there is anyone. Columbia isn't too bad, about two hours away. I have a Dual 1019 that needs work and I love to pick things up in thrift stores,etc, so it's good to know that I can have a go to if I need help.

Jimmy
 
If Sam Cogley doesn't show up in this thread, you might PM him and ask him who he knows down there. He lives around there.
 
I don't know of any local techs. I do my own repair work, and half of the time I buy stuff I get asked if I do service for hire.

Best bet would be to call some of the guitar shops. We have a LOT of musicians in the general area, so someone has to be working on their gear. I just don't have a clue who.
 
Thanks for the tips! I would like to find someone in the Springfield Missouri area, but I don't think there is anyone. Columbia isn't too bad, about two hours away. I have a Dual 1019 that needs work and I love to pick things up in thrift stores,etc, so it's good to know that I can have a go to if I need help.

Jimmy

What, exactly, ails your Dual? Splat has been known to do some TT repair.
 
The Dual needs to be torn down and regressed. It's not cycling properly and it may have the wrong motor pulley as it is running way too fast.
 
I once had a Dual, a 1019 I think, and it had the same problem. I ended up giving it to a fellow up in Des Moines who really like idler drives. The grease turns to something more like glue over the years. Cleaning and regreasing is really not that difficult. You can do it! A complete teardown may not be necessary - access thru the bottom and removal of the platter to do the platter bearing may be all that's needed. If your TT is running too fast, it may be stuck in 45 or 78 rpm, or the idler is so worn that it's diameter is too small.

PS - where are you from Jeff City?
 
Last edited:
EchoWars. Yes it will take a little time, but you will be hard pressed to find a more professional and detail oriented service tech. My baby Kenny, KA3500 is just so sweet after his work. He has one simple goal. Do it right. PM him and have a chat.
 
The Dual needs to be torn down and regressed. It's not cycling properly and it may have the wrong motor pulley as it is running way too fast.

Here are a couple of service options:

"Fix my Dual" is in Iowa.

AK member "no transistors" also services Dual turntables. He is in the NYC area.
 
It isn't stuck on one speed as all of the speeds run fast. I have spoken with Fix My Dual but I don't have the funds at the moment to have it done. I would love to do it myself but due to poor vision, it doesn't seem possible.
 
Back
Top Bottom