• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repair or bypass Dolby board

Lilscamp

New Member
Hello, I just bought a Sansui 9090db I plan on getting restored and wanted to know if it was better to get the Dolby board replaced or bypassed, I’ve seen mixed things online. There is a local tech near me who repairs them, and has generally good reviews (but no way to know the quality of his Dolby board repairs). Conversely I can send them to a well regarded restorer like qrx stereo and have the Dolby board bypassed
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Having a tech repair the dolby board will certainly cost more in labor. I'm just finishing one & elected to bypass because A) It's nice enough that I want to keep it & don't need the dolby, & B) I don't want to go into it again in the future to have to trouble shoot anything after I finish restoring it. C) The latest bypass technique leaves everything intact so it's reversible. I don't care if it might possibly lower the value in the future. Who knows, it might make it more attractive to a buyer that doesn't want the worry.
If you're going to use R2R tapes, check out the video on the 9090db by novalux on utube.....pretty cool how it works.
 
Just get a new improved board. It’s a project, but keeping with all its original functionality is important and valuable. I just rebuilt my original board and while doing the restoration and it took a couple hours. The through holes on the later modes weren’t a problem.
 
Hello, I just bought a Sansui 9090db I plan on getting restored and wanted to know if it was better to get the Dolby board replaced or bypassed, I’ve seen mixed things online. There is a local tech near me who repairs them, and has generally good reviews (but no way to know the quality of his Dolby board repairs). Conversely I can send them to a well regarded restorer like qrx stereo and have the Dolby board bypassed
You'll have to balance the added value of a working db unit (and whether you'll actually use the function) vs the cost of repair.
I personally don't know anybody who owns Dolby encoded material (of any format), and I lived through that era.
 
I dont believe in disabling any feature on nice units like that. Many time solder can be reflowed on thos boards, and ribbon cable can replace flakey original board wiring. Additionally beautiful newly designed replacement boards are available.
 
Is the board even a problem on the one you bought? Many times the switch just needs cleaning.

If it has the black ribbon cable, it may be fine.

Rob
 
Is the board even a problem on the one you bought? Many times the switch just needs cleaning.

If it has the black ribbon cable, it may be fine.

Rob
I don’t think it’s a problem now, as the unit as a whole is working fine despite not having any work done on it so far (or so I was told). I will admit I am not very well versed at all in this kind of stuff, I just like listening to music and wouldn’t know a Dolby board from a surf board, so until I get it looked at not sure if it has been untouched or not. I have included some pictures for reference if you have any input. I’m open to the idea that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but I do have some disposable income right now so if getting it updated now will save some headaches down the line that may be worth it to me
 

Attachments

  • 6667.jpeg
    6667.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 6
  • 6668.jpeg
    6668.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 6
  • 6669.jpeg
    6669.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom