• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repairing damaged speaker cabinet corners?

Still going strong! I restored this corner to the point where even I wasn't able to find it without some real sleuthing.

Altec033.jpg


Biggles
 
Durhams Woo Putty powder. You add water and mix to the consistency needed. In this case a thick clay like paste . Drive a small headless nail into the damaged area at a 45 degree angle for the paste ball to set up firmly to. "Square up the corner with a flat edge, let dry well, sand and take acrylic tube paints of brown, black, red and white and mix until the color you need is made. Take an old tooth brush and add/ make your wood grains.
DC
 
Thanks Biggles, I'm about to fix some corners of a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. I'm doing a bit of research. Ended up here this evening. I will be fixing corners and veneering the monsters.
 
Thanks Biggles, I'm about to fix some corners of a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. I'm doing a bit of research. Ended up here this evening. I will be fixing corners and veneering the monsters.

Hey Vicstatic,

Wow, that sounds like a great project! Yeah, for those beasts I would most certainly suggest using epoxy on the repairs. Those buggers have some weight behind them. If you or anyone was to careen them into anything with that kind of weight behind them, the repairs need to be solid. Go man go!

Biggles
 
think I can fix this speaker (Polk Monitor 10) which has a wrecked back edge? Any words of wisdom and input greatly appreciated...

6C67528C-8A57-4B77-B846-65DCF944880D.jpeg
 
Repair the Monitor 10...

Building up the damaged edges is actually the easy part. That's some plastic wood filler, layer of in and with a few application fill in the ding. Keep saying any protrusion until you have a nice smooth square edge.

You can't fix the vinyl. Some people use replacement vinyl. I never have. If you are able to buy a dark colored wood filler then that might kinda blend it. Last option is to veneer. Fair amount of time and effort plus the cost so you would want to evaluate that.

I would probably go with the dark wood filler and hope for the best. If the filler color is not close enough you could try staining the filled bit. The filler will grab the stain and you would just wipe the excess off the vinyl as obviously the stain won't penetrate the vinyl.
 
Repair the Monitor 10...

Building up the damaged edges is actually the easy part. That's some plastic wood filler, layer of in and with a few application fill in the ding. Keep saying any protrusion until you have a nice smooth square edge.

You can't fix the vinyl. Some people use replacement vinyl. I never have. If you are able to buy a dark colored wood filler then that might kinda blend it. Last option is to veneer. Fair amount of time and effort plus the cost so you would want to evaluate that.

I would probably go with the dark wood filler and hope for the best. If the filler color is not close enough you could try staining the filled bit. The filler will grab the stain and you would just wipe the excess off the vinyl as obviously the stain won't penetrate the vinyl.
thank you! good info!!!!
 
If you are going to re-veneer - don't even bother with stabilizing and wood filler - just lop off the affected corners and replace with real wood, cut off at 45 degree angle and then cut a corresponding piece off a board and glue in place - sand flush to the sides of the cabinet - done
 
If you are going to re-veneer - don't even bother with stabilizing and wood filler - just lop off the affected corners and replace with real wood, cut off at 45 degree angle and then cut a corresponding piece off a board and glue in place - sand flush to the sides of the cabinet - done
good point, thank you, Im a novice so not sure if im going to veneer... think for this weekend will audition the Polks in my audio room (400 sq ft) get a feel see how they sounds and if keepers....
 
I'd just go with stainable wood filler for that repair--it will look "decent", and the location is not one that is blatantly visible. If you do go the veneer route, auto body filler (Bondo) is your best bet for filling gouges, dings and dents. It is far more stable, but not stainable. Great for rebuilding crushed corners when new veneer is being overlaid.
 
CC1C62C0-9441-4E30-8C80-DC94293B8F9F.jpeg 4C29CFA9-BAA7-43E2-A74F-46E6E806C727.jpeg 83332E30-A82F-40CD-87DF-0C3E5EAB2215.jpeg 05445948-134A-4D7C-954A-67D6567CCC21.jpeg FC198F8C-6ACF-4944-AA0B-8C70CFFFAA32.jpeg 77E81F08-84CF-43FA-85CD-6BBE9C395A91.jpeg D0B01E98-28CB-45C2-AE5D-9838810612F7.jpeg Hi everyone! This is John hailing from Paris! Nice thread!! So I was given a pair of Allison LC120’s that I want to try and get working again. I’m going to reform the blown out speakers but I’d like to fix the bottom right corner on of them. The particle board has some damage due to water. Any tips on how I should proceed would be helpful. I’m pretty handy but have never worked with speaker cabinets before. Thanks!!
 
You are into a major repair. Various methods but there is no satisfactory way to recompress the particle board.

I might try cutting/hacking all the swollen loose stuff out and rebuilding the corner with filler. Then fresh veneer.

Of course that also means both speakers plus stain and clear coating so a fair sized job when all done.
 
You are into a major repair. Various methods but there is no satisfactory way to recompress the particle board.

I might try cutting/hacking all the swollen loose stuff out and rebuilding the corner with filler. Then fresh veneer.

Of course that also means both speakers plus stain and clear coating so a fair sized job when all done.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking if there was a way to carefully peel back the veneer or cut it and separate it from the board I could rebuild the board then reuse the veneer. Is that possible?
 
Eyeflap...You can try. I have no technique recommendations. I guess it depends upon how well you like the speakers. I have, on occasion, reveneered inexpensive speakers such as EPI 100 because IMO the sound quality warranted and the giftee would appreciate the effort. Other repairs I have selected to apply the 'well, good enough ' rule.
 
If it is a sealed cabinet speaker (or infinite baffle) make sure the sealing isn't compromised (test resistance of woofer to pushing it in with the other speaker if that isn't damaged as well if it returns faster then the sealing is compromised and your bass response will be reduced). (Yes 13 years old now). If as bad as the Allisons above I would just build new cabinets out of MDF
 
Back
Top Bottom