• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Repairing speaker foam with concave dust cap - how?

chasaboo

Active Member
Most dust caps I've seen are convex but I've got my eye on a 3 way speaker that has a rotted surround of the woofer and its dust cap is concave.

How does one go about removing this dust cap to shim it as opposed to the convex version?

Thanks for any help you can give.
 
Register to hide this ad
Most dust caps I've seen are convex but I've got my eye on a 3 way speaker that has a rotted surround of the woofer and its dust cap is concave.

How does one go about removing this dust cap to shim it as opposed to the convex version?

Thanks for any help you can give.

You would do the same for a concave as you would have done with a convex. If you shim you have to get a comparable size new DC. If you don't shim (there's many posts @ AK on that technique) then there's no problem. See my JBL125A refoam job at the link below. For this one I did remove the DC and simply installed a similar one in it's place after I knew the refoam was done with no VC rubbing.

http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com/gallery.html
 
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still new at this and learning.

BTW the woofer looks much like the JBL woofer.

Some work to do, I just hope I do it right. :sigh:
 
I did the battery method on my Smaller Advents and all went well. I did'nt want to remove the dust cover on those since they are irreplacable. Take your time :)
 
Back
Top Bottom