• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replace ALL capacitors in a crossover?

ZagatoMan

Member
Hello,

I recapped the crossovers in my Klipsch KG 3.2 and 3.5 with AEON caps.

In other posts I saw comments about NOT replacing the electrolytic capacitor across the woofer.

Well, I replaced them all with film capacitors. Is this a bad idea?

Here's the schematic:
upload_2021-8-23_17-25-29.png


I probably should have asked advice BEFORE doing the job but oh well, here I am.

I was able to fit the big capacitor with no problem since there was an unused hole on the ground plane.

upload_2021-8-23_17-27-55.png

Thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
Not a bad idea to use film caps on the woofer circuit but since they are so much bigger & cost more it may not be worth it since the woofer caps on most crossovers are just a "dump" as opposed to being part of the mid/tweet filtering circuit that you will hear more of.

& Ive never heard anyone say to not replace the electrolytic caps... they are actually more prone to falling out of spec than a poly or mylar film cap so definitely should be replaced when changing the other caps.
 
Thank you for the reply DEFTECHY. I think what I read was not to replace the electrolytic "dump" cap with the more expensive film caps. Glad to hear it's not a problem.
 
Either one will work fine, I just dont think you hear too much of the woofer cap to justify the price, thats why klipsch & other brands use lytics in that location & spend more for the mid/tweet caps where it matters most.

That woofer cap is only 24uf which is still pretty small physically , the bigger woofer model klipsch use as big as 80uf caps & a 250v poly cap is huge & usually requires some trickery to fit right... even crites sonicaps for the mid/tweet are pretty big & need to be rearranged to fit the stock boards.
 
As has been mentioned the woofer shunt caps are not directly in the signal path, so the "quality" of the cap is less critical than a series midrange or tweeter cap. I tend to use good quality non-polar electrolytics (NPE) as woofer shunt caps, but have on occasion used a film cap when I can get the correct value and it's not too big or expensive. Since my time is valuable, I don't use the really cheap, generic NPEs, but use high quality NPEs from Mundorf, Elna and Nichicon. I figure good quality NPEs will likely last longer than cheapies and I don't want to have to re-recap any of my speakers in my lifetime.

I did use an 18uF Axon True Cap as the woofer shunt in a pair of JBL L19A crossovers I rebuilt. It was the correct value, inexpensive and small enough to fit in the same location as the original NPE. Here's a photo that shows the original crossover (left) and the recapped crossover (right). You can see how much larger the Axon is than the original NPE, but since there was plenty of room, that's what I went with.

JBL_L19_A_2.jpg


The JBL 4301B Control Monitors have almost identical crossovers (the only difference in the woofer shunt is 16.5uF vs. 18uF). In that case, I used a pair of 8.2uF Murdorf E-Cap NPEs. The Mundorfs are good quality NPEs, they are affordable, and reasonably small. I use them a lot for woofer shunt caps.

JBL 4301B before:

JBL_4301_B_4.jpg


Lol! These REALLY needed a recap. They had been improperly stored in an uninsulated attic and had gotten so hot the glue holding the inductors failed and the wax filled caps had melted.

JBL 4301B after:

JBL_4301_B_Crossover_After.jpg


A pair of 8.2uF film caps would have been much larger, more expensive and unnecessary.

Here's a photo of a Rapid Rectilinear Highboy crossover I recapped, again with a Mundorf E-Cap. In this case, the woofer shunt cap was 100uF. Even the E-cap was tight in this value. A film cap would have been the size of a Coke can and MUCH more expensive (4x the volume and 3x the price).

Rectilinear_III_Crossover_Complete.jpg


Sorry to post so many non-Klipsch pics in this forum. I hope it's not considered sacrilegious. To steer things back on track, my current project is a pair of 1st generation Klipsch Fortes. I will be using a 47uF Nichicon DB NPE cap in place of the original 47uF NPE. The reason I went with Nichicon over Mundorf is the original is a radial lead NPE mounted on a PCB. The Mundorf E-Caps are axial lead. I may have been able to shoehorn in a Mundorf E-Cap, but it would be larger than the original, and wouldn't have directly fit the original PCB. So, I went with the Nichicon DB radial lead 47uF NPE. It was specifically designed for use in crossover networks, is actually slightly smaller than the original, and like the original, has radial leads. This makes it an easy drop-in replacement for the original.

So, yes replace the original NPE woofer shunt caps, they are the most likely to drift out of spec over time. Replace them with whatever is the correct value, affordable and fits. No need to spend too much on caps that aren't directly in the signal path.
 
Thank you for all the info and great photos MCM_Fan! That shot with the melted caps is pretty nuts. Mine wasn't needing a recap in such a bad way but they're over 20 years old and I'm having fun seeing if I can make improvements.

My question was not really Klipsch specific, I probably should have posted in another forum.

I see what you mean with those film caps getting pretty big. I got lucky and found a way to make it fit the PCB with no mods. I guess the worse thing is I spent money where I didn't need to.
 
I see what you mean with those film caps getting pretty big. I got lucky and found a way to make it fit the PCB with no mods. I guess the worse thing is I spent money where I didn't need to.

The Axon film caps aren't very expensive. In addition to the JBL L19A crossovers, I used them as the bass shunts is a very expensive pair of JBL L300 Summit Nelson Pass crossovers I built from scratch:

JBL_L300_Pass_Crossover_1.jpg


Consider your money well spent!
 
Holy moly, that's a sweet crossover. I'll have to find some speakers worthy of an upgrade like that. Looks fun!


The Axon film caps aren't very expensive. In addition to the JBL L19A crossovers, I used them as the bass shunts is a very expensive pair of JBL L300 Summit Nelson Pass crossovers I built from scratch:

JBL_L300_Pass_Crossover_1.jpg


Consider your money well spent!
 
^that's a correct statement and the look is real clean. We buy our fancy inductorsDSC_0001 (12).JPG from HiFi Collective. Great selection and real fast shipping
 
Back
Top Bottom