• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replace RCA cables on Sony PS-X70?

Roypercy

Super Member
Hey all:

I've recently been getting back into tweaking my system, and I find myself with a bit of "upgrade-itis". I have a Sony PS-X70 turntable in great shape and I've always been very happy with it, having had to do very little work to keep it running smoothly. In the past I've gone through quite a few turntables and in the past I've routinely replaced the stock RCA cables, often finding a great improvement in sound.

My question, for anybody familiar with the Sony, is, how good are the stock RCA cables? Would I find any benefit to replacing them? I know it's a higher-end turntable and I assume the stock cables are better than average, just wondering if anybody has done this and if there's anything to be gained from it, before I go to the trouble of taking my turntable apart and soldering in something different.

Any thoughts, experiences would be welcome!
 
Register to hide this ad
The effect of capacitance with cartridge loading and phono preamp input amplification does change the output. Wire quality and shielding can minimize the effect of RF in your home created from computers and solid state dimmers. Sony
probably has good low capacitance cable. You can spend $100 on 2 6' cables and see what happens. You may definitely hear a difference. Now spend the rest of the week before you can truly decide which is the better output to your ear, on 5 types of your favorite music. Although I will say, that 6' special weave power cord was much better... It has to be, no?
 
The OM says the cable is litz wire which is some of the good stuff. Used in both the tonearm and the phono cable. I needed to check because it is recommended to replace the cables on the PS-X7 because there is an improvement, the foam insulation is known to deteriorate. I don't know the construction quality on the PS-X70 cables. Maybe experiment? Maybe slap some RCA jacks on the back of the table and use good cables from there to the phono pre.
 
i have the same table
the cables failed so i replaced them with evolution platinum series cables, just cause i had them.
there was a small improvement in sound,but the table seemed quieter after the change.
the hole on the table is too small for newer cables .. you will have to cut or drill the resin to get new cables to fit
 
Back
Top Bottom