• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacement recommendations for Shuguang 6N8P-J tubes

grafxdesin

Super Member
I have a Consonance Cyber-222 and it time for new tubes. They have the Shuguang 6N8P-J tubes that came with it and it still sounds good but it's time for an upgrade. I am looking for some recommendations, two I am currently looking are:
6SN7GTB Coin Base
Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB

What about Balanced Triodes, High Gain, Low Noise & Microphonics, Matching? (Through tubedepot.com)
What websites are good for ordering these tubes?
I could also replace the 5AR4 rectifier tube (Sovtek) as well, should I?
Cheers
Adam
 
Register to hide this ad
Replacing tubes should never be taken lightly (unless they are cheap chinese junk, and even lousy Russian tubes are a couple orders of magnitude better.). Rectifiers, especially the 5ar4/gz34 are getting harder to find in OLD STOCK (Mullards are the De-Rigure 5ar4) However the new Russian Rectifiers are getting better. And they are fairly cheap comparatively.
6sn7GTB's are good tubes and EVERYONE wants old stock. And the prices are rising accordingly. There are some decent Russian Re-Issues from EH and Tung-Sol(both made in the old Reflektor Plant).


Drop over to Jim McShane's site. http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm He tests tubes with a custom rig at operating voltages and can match triodes, etc. and his costs are in line with the commercial sites that just test on a high end tube tester.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom