• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacement 'Stereo' Bayonet Light Bulb for Sherwood S-8900 receiver

jpreza

Active Member
Good evening everyone,

I hope someone can help me with finding a replacement 'stereo' light bulb for a Sherwood S-8900 receiver. I looked at the service manual, there are two part numbers for pilot lights:

Pilot Light #53 Part Number 630B53
Pilot Light #1302 Part Number 630B1302

I've googled both parts and I haven't had success finding any info on them. When I pulled the actual burned out bulb, it is a bayonet style light bulb with 'CE 49' marking on it. I've googled that as well as I've been unsuccessful in finding any info on it either.

TIA....Joe
 
Register to hide this ad
Send user Dgwojo a message, he's the resident bulb guy here; if you google his username you'll get his website right away.
 
Those part numbers are Sherwood's part numbers. They have nothing to do with who made the lamp. You need to know the voltage going to the lamp, then look for the correct or above voltage lamp. As an example, Marantz lamps are 8 volt (200ma.) but run on 6.5 volts (this extends the lamp life and reduces the heat.
 
53 and 1302 are the lamp trade numbers.

LUMAPRO Miniature Incandescent Bulb, G3-1/2, Miniature Bayonet (BA9s), Lumens 13, Watts 1.728W - 21U519|53-1PK - Grainger

is a #53

. 1302 Bulb | 0.04 Amp, 6.3 Volt, 0.25 Watts, T3.25, BA9 Base (topbulb.com)


just for spec reference purposes. Can get them elsewhere I'm sure.

In my S-3300 I used an LED bulb. Had to flip the bulb around in the holder to deal with the reverse polarity and add a resistor across it to simulate the load of the filament bulb. If I was doing it again I'd probably just buy the proper lamp and be done with it. Pretty sure the 8900 uses the same MPX board as the 3300 and when that lamp burns out the MPX decoder doesn't work right. I didn't study it to figure out why but on my 3300 at least the output was very distorted until I replaced the bulb. Pretty sure the 1302 is the one used in the MPX unit, I know its a very low current bulb.
 
53 and 1302 are the lamp trade numbers.

LUMAPRO Miniature Incandescent Bulb, G3-1/2, Miniature Bayonet (BA9s), Lumens 13, Watts 1.728W - 21U519|53-1PK - Grainger

is a #53

. 1302 Bulb | 0.04 Amp, 6.3 Volt, 0.25 Watts, T3.25, BA9 Base (topbulb.com)


just for spec reference purposes. Can get them elsewhere I'm sure.

In my S-3300 I used an LED bulb. Had to flip the bulb around in the holder to deal with the reverse polarity and add a resistor across it to simulate the load of the filament bulb. If I was doing it again I'd probably just buy the proper lamp and be done with it. Pretty sure the 8900 uses the same MPX board as the 3300 and when that lamp burns out the MPX decoder doesn't work right. I didn't study it to figure out why but on my 3300 at least the output was very distorted until I replaced the bulb. Pretty sure the 1302 is the one used in the MPX unit, I know its a very low current bulb.

The age and brittleness with these now antique units really demands the low heat and long lifespan of LED replacements IMO; every time something is disassembled to change a bulb there's the chance of breaking something unneccessarily. I need to go in and chage the bezel lamps in my Mac amps, but am completely afraid of turning the meter bezels into dust; I wish there were suitable LED replacements available when I changed the lamps a decade back. I'll never place another incandescent lamp in a machine unless absolutely neccessary, such as Revox autostop bulbs unfortunately.
 
53 and 1302 are the lamp trade numbers.

LUMAPRO Miniature Incandescent Bulb, G3-1/2, Miniature Bayonet (BA9s), Lumens 13, Watts 1.728W - 21U519|53-1PK - Grainger

is a #53

. 1302 Bulb | 0.04 Amp, 6.3 Volt, 0.25 Watts, T3.25, BA9 Base (topbulb.com)


just for spec reference purposes. Can get them elsewhere I'm sure.

In my S-3300 I used an LED bulb. Had to flip the bulb around in the holder to deal with the reverse polarity and add a resistor across it to simulate the load of the filament bulb. If I was doing it again I'd probably just buy the proper lamp and be done with it. Pretty sure the 8900 uses the same MPX board as the 3300 and when that lamp burns out the MPX decoder doesn't work right. I didn't study it to figure out why but on my 3300 at least the output was very distorted until I replaced the bulb. Pretty sure the 1302 is the one used in the MPX unit, I know its a very low current bulb.

When you say the audio output was very distorted, was it when it was first turned on? I have mine with the LOUDNESS (i.e. volume) clicked to the ON position so it's never off. Instead, what I do is the S-8900 is connected to a power outlet which I switch off every night. The next day when I turn the power outlet on I get what I described as "pulsating warbling" noise coming out of my CV 26 speakers until I physically switch the LOUDNESS button off for 2-3 seconds. When it's back on, I get a little of a buzzing sound and the volume is back to normal.

Any ideas what it could be??

TIA....Joe
 
Constant distortion unless I ran it in mono mode. The S3300 is just a tuner. No idea what your issue is specifically.


I'll never place another incandescent lamp in a machine unless absolutely neccessary

In general I agree, just in this specific case its not a drop-in so unless someone is up for some fiddling to make the LED work its not the best option. I do not care for the hard blue-white of a lot of LED but warm white that duplicate the proper look I'm fine with. I changed the dash lamps in one of my cars to warm white LED for this exact reason. Had a couple bad ones and its annoying to pull the cluster to change them.
 
Back
Top Bottom