• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacement woofers for AR-2ax

jlovda

Things I loved from the 60's and 70's
Subscriber
On the bay someone is selling a pair of AR-12 woofers (that need new surrounds) with the claim that they will also work in AR-2ax'. My speakers are the 2nd generation with the 10-1/2" diameter hole. I got them with RS woofers. Could someone verify this? I've never reconed a speaker. Is it a straightforward project? Where is the best place to get the new parts?
 
Register to hide this ad
You're talking about new surrounds vs reconing, right?

Here's the recommendation for the correct foam.

My understanding from reading comments is that later
drivers gradually lost a little bit of low-end extension.
Service replacements (the ones you mention should
work for your boxes) fit that category, though I don't
know that it's all that much to worry about. The 2 series
systems already leave a little on the table, compared to
the 3 series.

All this to say there are some original 2ax woofers
further down the listings for sale, at a somewhat
higher price. I haven't kept track, but you might do
better if you're patient.
 
You're talking about new surrounds vs reconing, right?

Here's the recommendation for the correct foam.

My understanding from reading comments is that later
drivers gradually lost a little bit of low-end extension.
Service replacements (the ones you mention should
work for your boxes) fit that category, though I don't
know that it's all that much to worry about. The 2 series
systems already leave a little on the table, compared to
the 3 series.

All this to say there are some original 2ax woofers
further down the listings for sale, at a somewhat
higher price. I haven't kept track, but you might do
better if you're patient.
Yes, it was new surrounds. But it was mentioned on earlier threads that the original woofers have baskets that are too big to fit in the baffle board hole. I have to keep looking for foam surround versions (10-1/2" baskets).
 
No creases or tears? They look good visually.
Seller says they were working when replaced.
That's probably as good as it gets on an auction
site. I would not be afraid of these, but it's worth
inquiring if he'll accept returns should they not
match the description.
 
Back
Top Bottom