• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacing hinges on Technics tables?

Vinylmasters

Super Member
Label me 'stoopid'.....

Won a Technics SL-Q300 and it came with a broken cover and hinge (gotta love UPS - the person who sent it did a great job of shipping it too). On the bright side, I have a broken Technics SL-QD35 sitting here with the same exact cover (how lucky is that?). The problem is, I can't get the &^&%#% hinge out to replace it! Is there a trick to this that I'm missing somewhere?
 
Register to hide this ad
Try harder. ;)

Really, they should just pull out but they're sometimes pretty tight.

John
 
You can also make a ground wire from stuff you might have around. The pin diameter is roughly the same as the center pin of an RCA plug or maybe 12 gauge wire. You might need to do some soldering but it could be free.
 
You can also make a ground wire from stuff you might have around. The pin diameter is roughly the same as the center pin of an RCA plug or maybe 12 gauge wire. You might need to do some soldering but it could be free.

I've made them out of a length of wire and a 1/8" x 1" cotter pin (assuming it isn't the type with a center pin).

John
 
Was the dustcover removed from the table? It should of been and depending on the type of hinges it might of been necessary to remove them from the dustcover. UPS might not be at fault.
 
If it has the center pin type, I get a bullet connector at the hardware store, crimp it on some wire, and with pliers get is to squish in there and grab on to the pin with the center. Works. Cheap.
 
Was the dustcover removed from the table? It should of been and depending on the type of hinges it might of been necessary to remove them from the dustcover. UPS might not be at fault.

Even if it had been carried by angels it likely would still be broken, Technics lids of the sort that are on this and similar tables being what they are. :yes:
 
Was the dustcover removed from the table? It should of been and depending on the type of hinges it might of been necessary to remove them from the dustcover. UPS might not be at fault.

It was off. I gave the seller explicit instructions on how to ship before I paid for it (I ran a stereo store for years so I'm well versed in how to pack and ship t'tables, believe me!). The top of the box was crushed - someone at UPS obviously threw a heavy item on top which snapped it. UPS is infamous for stuff like this (and FedEx is actually worse!).

The seller was INCREDIBLE about it all - was willing to give me a full refund as well. I told her hey - I have a spare cover and hinges, but I just need the ground cable, so she refunded the amount to me from the link above on EBay. The table is in mint shape and functions perfectly from what I can see, so I'd rather keep it (and especially because I only paid $20 bucks for it!). It's all good!
 
Back
Top Bottom