• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Replacing old Garrard turntable

eirik

New Member
I recently bought an old Packard Bell stereo cabinet (RPC 122). It came with a Garrard turntable, which works fine for the most part, apart from some wires coming undone and needing a new cartridge. I would like to replace the turntable at some point to something for which parts are still made. Every time I try to replace the Garrard with a newer turntable (Technics, among others) I come across one of two problems. The first is when I try to connect the Technics turntable directly to the Packard Bell amp with RCA cables, I hear music but it is muffled. To get rid of the muffling (leading to the second problem), I plugged the Technics turntable into a pre-amp and then into the Packard Bell amp, which solves the muffled problem but adds a loud humming, like something is not grounded or plugged in all the way. I have a grounding wire that plugs into the back of the Technics, which I then attach to the Packard Bell chassis. That makes the humming a little quieter, but doesn't solve the problem. There is no place on the pre-amp to ground it, and the package said it didn't require grounding. Someone told me the hum is due to the fact that the Garrard has a ceramic cartridge as opposed to the newer Technics magnetic cartridge, but I've had people tell me that shouldn't be an issue. I don't know who to believe! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
Boy - does this take me back - phew. The folks had a lovely PB console back in the day (note, I'm over a 1/2 century myself). Likely the Packard Bell amp (phono section) is looking for a much larger signal than you are feeding it with the Technics. The old Garrard probably has a ceramic cartridge which puts out a much larger signal. It may also be self correcting for RIAA compensation.

To get around this, you'll need a new phono section in the line to apply the RIAA decode curve. You'll also need some gain to get you back to what the PB amp wants to see as a usable signal. This will take a bit of work on your part to get dialed in.

I would suggest an ART DJ phono amp (don't let the name scare you - it's plenty HiFi). It has adjustable gain. I just don't know if the lowest output is close to what the console amp wants to see.

Also, if the PB amp phono section has a built-in RIAA correction curve, you'll be doubling the correction which would be very bass heavy. Maybe someone here will have direct experience with one of these. Otherwise it'll be a bit of trial and error?
 
Back
Top Bottom