• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Resources request on how to repair vintage audio devices

ITChristian

New Member
Hello!

I want to learn to repair reel-to-reel, pick-up and amplituners.

I have a minimal knowlegde about electronics. I tried to search on the web for useful materials but I am only able to find some general electronics documentation.

If anyone knows some books, courses, tutorials, please post here. I really want to learn this specifically (you can see why on my first post: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/introducing-me-i-like-vintage-audio.1046690/ )

It would be very helpful if resources are step-by-step (taking the user from the beginning - eg: explaining audio amplifiers types etc).

Thank you all very much!
 
Register to hide this ad
Christian, your curiosity is admirable and fairly vast, and if you're a younger person you stand a better chance of learning all those things you mention. A few thoughts:
  • First, get good at knowing how to search the internet and use Google etc. to research topics and questions. The electronics education you seek from basic to advanced can all be found online but it will take a lot of hours of study.
  • You also mention tape decks which are mechanical "transport mechanisms" in addition to electronic so servicing them requires special mechanical skills as well. Lots of vintage tape deck stuff on YouTube.
  • Many AK'ers here have expertise in specific areas such as troubleshooting and restoration of vintage amps, tuners, receivers, turntables, speakers, etc., some as diy'ers on a specific make/model and others as professionals who have worked on a broad variety of audio gear. As a curious teenager I had access to military surplus and audio gear to take apart--a/k/a destructive testing--for early hands-on learning which I don't believe the current generation does much anymore. Anyway, tinkering hands-on with different electronic gear is beneficial.
  • So as I said, it's an advantage if you're younger because the range of your goals is a lot to learn. But age is not a barrier if you're willing (and able) to learn--it's never too late! Many AK experts on this site have gained their vast knowledge, skills, and experience through years of work and study.
So hopefully before long we'll be looking to you for expert answers. Good Luck!
 
Christian, your curiosity is admirable and fairly vast, and if you're a younger person you stand a better chance of learning all those things you mention. A few thoughts:
  • First, get good at knowing how to search the internet and use Google etc. to research topics and questions. The electronics education you seek from basic to advanced can all be found online but it will take a lot of hours of study.
  • You also mention tape decks which are mechanical "transport mechanisms" in addition to electronic so servicing them requires special mechanical skills as well. Lots of vintage tape deck stuff on YouTube.
  • Many AK'ers here have expertise in specific areas such as troubleshooting and restoration of vintage amps, tuners, receivers, turntables, speakers, etc., some as diy'ers on a specific make/model and others as professionals who have worked on a broad variety of audio gear. As a curious teenager I had access to military surplus and audio gear to take apart--a/k/a destructive testing--for early hands-on learning which I don't believe the current generation does much anymore. Anyway, tinkering hands-on with different electronic gear is beneficial.
  • So as I said, it's an advantage if you're younger because the range of your goals is a lot to learn. But age is not a barrier if you're willing (and able) to learn--it's never too late! Many AK experts on this site have gained their vast knowledge, skills, and experience through years of work and study.
So hopefully before long we'll be looking to you for expert answers. Good Luck!
Hello and thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I will try to find the best resources on the web. You're right, that I am relatively young (I'm a bit over 25). I'm really fascinated by vintage audio technology, which I recently discovered (about one year ago) and I'm impressed by the audio quality of analogue sound.

That's why I don't want just to use this technology, but to learn how to repair such devices too.
 
IT Christian, you might like some of Mr. Carlson.s Lab, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU9SoQxJewrWb_3GxeteQPA He works on a wide range of stuff and there is always something learned.

I am also new to this, and check you tube for similar problems to the ones i want to fix. Even if the problem is not on the same unit I have, the trouble shooting methods may carryover. Also check the initial posts in each forum. Those are the "Sticky" notes that contain generic knowledge for that particular forum.

Daybreak2350 is putting you on the right track for the basic knowledge.
 


Included in the above sticky is this link to the training manuals many used to learn electronics.

 
Back
Top Bottom