• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Restored TD 124 by Jim Campbell

thanajon

New Member
Came to say that over the summer had my TD 124 restored by Jim Campbell in PA. He did a great job and I am very pleased with the finished product. I had taken the turntable down to the studs so to speak, completely stripped of parts and paint and he brought it back to new condition. Highly recommended. Thanks Jim!

Now I am looking to round out my system with a suitable cartridge, plinth, and phono preamp. I am thinking of setting this TT up for mono jazz LP listening station.

My current setup includes the following:

Linear Tube Audio LTA Z40 Integrated Amp
Technics SL1210-G with AT VMN60SC cartridge
IMF TLS 80 mkII

To this, I would like to add the Thorens for mostly Mono jazz listening, so am searching for a phono preamp and mono cartridge recommendations on a modest budget and also suitable with the SME 3009 tone arm. Does the cognoscenti think this is a waste of the Thorens or a good use of the TT? I've never listened to a mono setup and have only a few mono records, but wanted to give it a spin.

My research so far has led to the Gold Note PH-10, Project Phono Box DS3 B and Lab12 Melto 2 with a Orotofon 2M Mono SE or the AT Mono3/LP.?

Appreciate any feedback positive or negative on the proposed setup with the Thorens and SME. Thank you.

Thanajon
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 16
Register to hide this ad
Well Done to you & your system!
Now I am looking to round out my system with a suitable cartridge, plinth, and phono preamp. I am thinking of setting this TT up for mono jazz LP listening station.
This is a good project!
A number of decisions, but reading about your system ....... I am confident you will do well!

Does the cognoscenti think this is a waste of the Thorens or a good use of the TT? I've never listened to a mono setup and have only a few mono records, but wanted to give it a spin.
Certainly not a waste! YDY
But this enthusiast would not dedicate the TT to mono. No need. You got a removeable headshell.
You can have an excellent mono system & switch over to something else. I would want to hear the newly-reconditioned idler in multiple scenarios.
Now maybe 'prioritize' MM on the Thorens vs MC for the Technics, or high compliance/vintage cartridges vs other...?

My research so far has led to the Gold Note PH-10, Project Phono Box DS3 B and Lab12 Melto 2 with a Orotofon 2M Mono SE or the AT Mono3/LP.?
Phono preamps are a tough choice, and a lot can depend on the cartridge.
I have mono playback w/Nagaoka MP-MONO. Nice, modest cost, good (bonded) styli available, but maybe not a match for your SME (SME 3009 S2 Improved (Detachable Headshell)?? 9.5 grams).
My Nagaoka setup math:
1791561608556.png
(I ran a test record w/1x styli, got closer to 9Hz... )

For new mono guy, I would recommend a phono preamp with a mono button. If no button, strap a stereo cartridge.
For you w/your system potential, you can build a world-class one-british-speaker mono system!
Mono is a bit of a black hole. I only dipped my toes.

As you may know, mono records have different groove sizes; you can match your styli tip to the media (~.7mil conical for new mono LPs; 1mil for old).
The AT Mono3 = bonded .6; Ortofon nude shibata?? (for Beatles mono set??).
I am a no on the Ortofon. The AT would probably work fine; not really for me.
The Nagaoka might work for you - I would like to hear from some SME users using lower compliance cartridge....
There are probably other/better options out there. I am still OK w/a mono button or strapped cartridge for now.

Assume we want mono AND other support for the thorens, let's get a phono preamp!
Lot of good ones out there w/their own sonic contribution & features.
What do you have now? sl1210 going into Z40 phono? You are going to run the Thorens via new phono to Z40 line input??
Z40 phono w/built-in SUT could be pretty sweet. You may end up with the Thorens to the Z40 & Technics to ________.

One thing I like in a phono preamp is low capacitance options. I run some Shure & AT MM cartridges that can be sensitive to loading.
I looked at the GoldNote recently when reviewing my phono options - input cap fixed at 220pF = no.
Phono box has 50pF option & has some fans here.
I wanted a Darlington Labs MP8b. Found a used 'The Black Swan' for cheaper & bought it.
You may want to consider sourcing phono #2 to complement your existing phono #1; similar quality, but perhaps some contrast (options, circuit, more tubes?)
 
Back
Top Bottom