• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Restoring Shiny JBL Foilcals to a Satin Finish - How?

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
I have a foilcal with some spots that have been rubbed shiny. Can I just spray paint it with satin clear coat to restore the satin finish? (I may try it on some other material as a test, to see what happens.) (And obviously, I would mask the edges and protect the L-pad knob properly.) Thanks!

Here is how the foilcal should look (not mine):
attachment.php


Here is some satin clear paint or lacquer:
071915244582lg.jpg

12.25+Oz+Satin+Clear+Wood+Finish+017-13.jpg

11-1%2F4+Oz+Clear+Lacquer+Satin+Wood+Finish+Spray+63281.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
No need to spray a heavy coat. Again Mohawk!!!
They have lacquer spray cans and I would just use a flat and a light dusting to break the shiny spot up.

That means hold the can further away and short burst at the spot only.
 
I looked at the links but I wasn't sure which specific product you meant, spread out over three different Mohawk categories of paint, each with several subcategories. Plus, the images in those pages are broken for some reason. Do you have one specific product that you recommend? Sorry if I'm being obtuse. :(
 
By the way I use flat on semi gloss and satin all the time.
If you use semi gloss and did what I instructed you will see little shiny specks. The flat will not do this and will break up the finger rub marks.

You can do this in your kitchen also around the hardware!! Pull the knobs wash with simple green. spray lightly to break up the grab marks put the knobs back on.
 
I looked at the links but I wasn't sure which specific product you meant, spread out over three different Mohawk categories of paint, each with several subcategories. Plus, the images in those pages are broken for some reason. Do you have one specific product that you recommend? Sorry if I'm being obtuse. :(

I had the same issue.

M102-0421 Tone Finish Clear Lacquer Flat
Or
M102-0451 Ultra® Flo Clear Flat
This is the better of the two
 
And then our kitchen sink backed up and I spent the last half hour dealing with it ... I tried to get a good shot of the foilcal, but it was a lot tougher than I thought to get one that really shows how it looks. This one is OK but not truly accurate.

I have wax on the foilcal right now (hence the streaks) to try to dull the finish a little. I would clean that off before applying any finish. The shiny areas are around the L Pads.

Sorry, but the forum picture hosting doesn't recognize the image rotation from Windows.

Thanks again!

(Soon we have to hit the road for a far-away Christmas party, but I'll check in later.)

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC_5467 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_5467 (Medium).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 111
Ok Zonker what I would do here is the outer black paint and the laminate silk screen should look a little different. I would wash it with simple green and then naphtha no hard scrubbing but an even wiping. You're just dissolving the waxes and oils and cleaning the switches let dry and see what you have.

If at that point the silk screen laminate looks fine leave it as is. Mask it off regardless now. The black paint is pebbly looking, crappy paint job. Coat it evenly with the clear flat. Not flooding it,but just a even wet-dry spotty look. See what it looks like when it drys which is fast 10-15 min.

Now unmask the laminate and if you don't like the looks of it mask the switches.

Just a light dusting of the lacquer over it should make it look uniform and not hurt what you did to the painted section.

Look at it as you would install. If you look at it like a tabletop you may never be happy.You know what I mean?
 
Back
Top Bottom