• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

'Retro'; Best Coast, She and Him

screenersam

aka Blind Sugar McGee
every now and then I run across music that I'd describe as retro, in that it is contemporary but has the sound of a previous era.

groups like Mermen and Los Straitjackets sound like 60s surf music (with a modern twist)

Best Coast (just encountered them last week) sounds like a late 50s / early 60s girl group (and I mean that in the best possible way; you listen and you swear you heard them when you were a kid).

She and Him has a similar sound, more 50s.
Mojave 3 has a very classic, timeless sound.
the Mavericks sound like a 50s group.

any thoughts on this format? any similar groups?
 
Register to hide this ad
I really like how Best Coast combines that girl group sound with really crunchy guitar tone!
 
Zu-ka's first album, "Supplemental Restraints" has a 70s meets 90s feel to it. Thanks to the producer!
 
Back
Top Bottom