• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

Any one else noticed that the Epay 6V6 tube prices have gone up a bunch? Must be the AK jinx, we talk about a vintage tube and the vintage tube prices go crazy over there.
 
Just like so many of the tubes I buy the 6v6's are used. It's not a problem if they test good and are bought from a seller with high feedback scores. I'm back and forth with the 6v6 and 6AQ5 as both are quite good.

This summer I built these $239 kit Swans and even though they are 87 dbs the MW/APPJ has enough power. The Swans are designed for near field listening and on tall stands 3 feet from each ear they are mesmerizing.

P1010011 4.jpeg
 
Hope this thread still lives:

Gradualy, I made some improvements in my system, now mainly supported by APPJ:

- done some tweaks on amp, pot disabled and rolled some tubes, at the moment prefering Phillips Miniwatt 6AK5, + Sovtek 6P1P EV of course.
Its now seated on custom corian board with proper feet (white board under amp).
- ordered custom made preamp with PGA 2311 chip, 3 inputs with remote. Thats the blue thing next to Meridian player
- refurbished rare studio Tannoys, named K3148 - since there is not much clues about it, at the end I figured out that it must be profi version
of LRM models, almost identical beside one digit in driver (Little reds should be using K3149 driver) and somewhat utilitiarian qualitiy of wood veneer on this model
- other parts of chain are RPI/ Digi+, hooked on TEAC UD 505 DAC (sometimes I use it as preamp, it has one line input), TT is still trusty ProJect Debut, but there is Lenco L75 in wait,
as future project
- alternative amps are HK 970 (really nice budget amp), and also custom power amp based on 3116 board from Tinysine (oval blue box, on the lowest
left position on this pic).

Overall, in this setup Miniwatt really cannot play everything (Zeppelin tunes on loud are still no-no :smoke:) - but when it does, it does quite on pleasure
SS amp do a better headbanging and D-one also sound good (but need to get rid of BT addon board that comes with this particular model, as I
feel that it limits level of undistorted output).........but as you can see, tubes gets strong "first choice" position in my current setup...


Tannoy APPJ sys.jpg
 
I had been itching to try a tube amp for a while. Yesterday I was lucky enough to snap up this second hand PA0901A for $100 CAD. I hadn't done any research, I just figured for $100 I would take the risk.

WOW. I love this little thing. This thread has confirmed what I suspected, this little amp was a steal. It looks like the previous owner even upgraded the tubes, as the one in the middle says Sovtek on it.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220206_032457703.jpg
    PXL_20220206_032457703.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 44
Searched this thread and others for answers and I'm coming up empty. I have the 4 tube 6P1/6J1 version of this amp and have enjoyed it for almost 4 years. Are there options(cables/adaptors) to easily convert this unit to a headphone amp? There was 1 mention, here, about "balanced" cables to be able to use cans.

I am currently using a 40+ year old receiver but my recently purchased headphones are very revealing of noise especially between songs. Would prefer not to purchase a dedicated headphone amp if cables are available to covert this to a headphone unit. Has anyone used this unit with headphones?

Thanks
Mark

Edit. After posting I went through the Discussions page for this unit on Drop. Found the link to this unit from APPJ. Perhaps I'm not the only one wanting to convert the Mini to a phone amp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPJ-Headp...857894?hash=item3d563d38e6:g:SHYAAOSwLUpaXcee
 
Last edited:
Searched this thread and others for answers and I'm coming up empty. I have the 4 tube 6P1/6J1 version of this amp and have enjoyed it for almost 4 years. Are there options(cables/adaptors) to easily convert this unit to a headphone amp? There was 1 mention, here, about "balanced" cables to be able to use cans.

I am currently using a 40+ year old receiver but my recently purchased headphones are very revealing of noise especially between songs. Would prefer not to purchase a dedicated headphone amp if cables are available to covert this to a headphone unit. Has anyone used this unit with headphones?

Thanks
Mark

Edit. After posting I went through the Discussions page for this unit on Drop. Found the link to this unit from APPJ. Perhaps I'm not the only one wanting to convert the Mini to a phone amp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPJ-Headp...857894?hash=item3d563d38e6:g:SHYAAOSwLUpaXcee

I think you've found an answer to your question. Let us know how it sounds.
 
Wonderful thread about the MW amp. I just noticed this amp from Audio Research has a similar form factor. Cost $29,000 per pair. Wonder if, with the right speakers and in the right room, the Audio Research sounds any better?

D0B7CD3B-F0D6-4CE1-87DA-68BBF802F0B8.png
 
This thread has been quiet for a while. Looks like the Miniwatt APPJ supply has dried up. Anything new that is a replacement?
 
If you search ebay for "APPJ 6J1" it brings up current listings for the Miniwatt. Aliexpress also has them. For flea watts on a desktop I'm not sure you can do better. I had one of these and loved it. Sounded great too. I wish I still had mine.
 
Thread revival….

My MW had been sitting in the closet since moving to the new house as my focus has been getting the room and my main system setup. Finally brought the Fried Model C Pyramid’s into the room about 6’ from my listening chair and hooked the MW directly to my Oppo BDP-83SE. Pretty impressive combo!
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 24
Finally got a Mini2013! Sounds great in a small bedroom system. Using it with ADS L400e speakers and it's a great match with all the volume you may need. The speakers are rated at 88db per watt and one speaker is in a corner which helps bring up the bass. In my larger systems it can also be a great performer. With JM Lab Electra 805 (rated at 91db) the sound is a bit thin in my large basement. Adding in the powered subwoofers solves the bass problem but the sound is strained at higher volumes. Perfect for smaller scale jazz, pop and classical but not as good on heavy rock or complicated music. Not surprisingly, the little Mini2013 shines with my Klipsch Heresy IV speakers (rated at 99db per watt) in a medium sized room. Music gets very loud and sounds clear and beautifully tubey. My DAC search ended with the Schiit Mimir plus Forkbeard which has EQ. With Forkbeard you get a choice of three frequencies to boost or reduce. Boosting the bass 2 to 3db and reducing mid/treble really balances things out creating a warm, rich sound that's beautifully satisfying. If you have high sensitivity speakers or plan to use the Mini2013 in a small room you will really like what you hear. If you have a DAC or some other way to EQ the sound along with high efficiency speakers like Klipsch, Fostex DIY or other you can create the sound you love along with all the other wonderful tube characteristics the Mini2013 provides.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8665.jpeg
    IMG_8665.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8587.jpeg
    IMG_8587.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7876-2.jpeg
    IMG_7876-2.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7873.jpeg
    IMG_7873.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8651.jpeg
    IMG_8651.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom