• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Review: Comply Foam Sleeves, A last Good foam sleeves for earphones.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
First off to stave off any heartburn: I have nothing to do with Comply Hearing Components. :D

I heard about these Comply Foam Sleeves, marshmallows, olives, whatever you want to call them on another forum, many great endorsments. they have foam sleeves for a large number of different brands, in fact pretty nearly everthing. I have been looking for a good set for my Shure SE-215's great earphones but the supplied sleeves just don't work out. The best I had where the "silicone trees" intended for my Etymotic hf3's. I ordered directly from Comply. I purchased two different sleeves, Isolation, and Isolation Plus, the difference between the two is the Plus version has wax guards otherwise they are the same. These sleeves have transformed my experience with the SE-215. They are something of a PIA to put on with the over the top of the ear fitting, once on however they are very comfortable. The big problem was the sleeves, it was difficult to position the earpieces at the correct angle for the best sound. With the fitting of these Comply Foam sleeves that changed. These sleeves are very soft and munched down between your fingers and incerted into your otitis externa and gently held in place while they expand to fit all of the great sound of these Shure earphones is piped into your ears. I have just ordered the Professional version which fit deeper into you ears, more like the Etymotics. Comply also makes sleeves for the Etymotics I am going to have to try a set. If your OEM ear foam/silicone ear sleeves are not doing the job give these Comply's a try. I am done looking I have found my go to place.

http://www.complyfoam.com/
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I tried these foam sleeves on my Etymotic hf3's and it changed things. The Ety's sound wise are about the same as the Shure's. But I no longer have the feeling that if I push them in any farther I will feel the other earbud coming in from the otherside. They are totally comfortable. If you are like me and listen while going to sleep I no longer have the problem with the ear I might be resting on having the sound cut of from pressure moving the earbud out of alignment. :D
 
I used to use this type of foam on some inexpensive Koss buds that I would wear when mowing, snowblowing, etc. to protect my hearing (unlike my younger days of just cranking the volume to surpass the machine noise. Sigh.)
Very comfortable!

I ended up using shooter's earplugs that I bought in bulk and just punched a hole through to fit over the Koss buds.

I switched over to a set of Etys with the custom ACS plugs and really enjoy them (no affiliation for either/any of the mfgrs).

16-LL001_b.jpg


p738_koss_the_plug_classic_main.jpg


155475-mc3customfittips-386_original.png
 
I switched over to a set of Etys with the custom ACS plugs and really enjoy them (no affiliation for either/any of the mfgrs).

155475-mc3customfittips-386_original.png

After using two pair of Etys for a number of years now, I'm interested in the ACS plugs. From what I gather, the procedure is: go to an audiologist, get impressions, mail them into ACS, pay ACS $150ish, get plugs back?
 
After using two pair of Etys for a number of years now, I'm interested in the ACS plugs. From what I gather, the procedure is: go to an audiologist, get impressions, mail them into ACS, pay ACS $150ish, get plugs back?

Pretty much.
In my case, they had no affiliated audiologists in my area, so I paid for the impressions out-of-pocket, then sent them in to have the plugs made.
Normally, you pre-pay ACS for the whole shebang and they send a coupon to take to an affiliated audiologist.
I think it worked out to about the same price though.
 
The Comply Foam Sleeves are very comfortable but they don't last very long. You can get custom ear sleeves for the Shure earphone as well. I love the Etymotics but I have problems with the cables failing in a year or so, of course they have a 2 year warranty but I am reluctant spend this much money of earphones that I would have to replace every couple of years. The Shure on the other hand have replaceable cables. My SE-215's cables failed after about a year and a half of constant use. When this happened I just purchased a new cable set and was up and running again for $29 dollars.
 
Hi,

I tried the comply foams and found them to be both very comfortable and isolating compare to the standard foamies. The resultant sound was improved. However, rolling them up every time I put them back in, cleaning, buying/replacing and isolation are still not as good as can be had with certain (not Shure) tri-flange tips (at least for my particular ear shape).

I made some posts about tip experiences with HF3 and SE-215 tips over in an adjacent thread. If folks are interested, i could start a thread of my own, discussing in more detail the pros and cons (in my personal experience) of the various tips for various IEMs I've owned....
 
I love the Comply but unfortunately they do not last very long. I also like the Etymotic triple flanged silcone sleeves. The ultimate answer is the same solution Eytmotic offers custom fitting.
 
Back
Top Bottom