• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

REVIEW: Schiit Modi DAC $99

I've had a modi for a month or so. No problems using it. My laptop reconozed it and so far has worked flawlessly. Not that my ears are the best but the music sounds a lot better using it over the headphone jack on the laptop. The only other dac experience I have is an Audio Alchemy dac-in-the-box I have on my Rotel rcd855 cdp. I've had that for 20+ years.
 
Can anyone coMment on break in time if any. Not to get into a debate about break in but given price im still underwhemed at my intial,listening impressions
 
Mini-review of the Schiit Modi

After reading a ton of reviews and discussion posts all over the net on the Modi DAC, I ordered one recently. I've only had it a few days so far, but I wanted to share my initial impressions.

The only other DAC I considered was the HRT Streamer II, but decided for the Modi based on reviews/online forum discussions. I am new to the whole DAC experience and decided to go for it considering the difference I was hearing between my mp3's and my other audio. The ordering process was simple and delivery was quick. I sent an email to them asking for some basic info on hookup and they responded quickly.

Receivers:

Marantz 2270/Onkyo A10

Speakers: Klipsch Forte I/Boston A150

Music: mp3's via Itunes at 128kbs/256kbs /occasional Spotify.

Computer: Dell - just a few years old;

Situation: compared to my CD's and vinyl - my mp3's were quite lacking in sound via my system without the DAC. Somewhat muffled, just not as clear or enjoyable as far as the listening experience, but decent enough to get by.

The Schiit: WOW! I'm not given to hyperbole but I must say that I noticed and hear significant improvement, which is getting better as time passes. I don't know whether the whole 'burn-in' phenomena is real or more psychological and plan to read up further on it. I do hear more clarity in the music as time progresses however. This is what I am hearing a few days in:

The music sounds much more clear and transparent. Much closer to CD quality - may continue to improve over time. Definite, noticeable improvement in instruments standing out with clarity. So far I've only been listening on the Forte's via the 2270. Will switch to the Onkyo with the A150s in time. The music just sounds more alive. I have the volume on Itunes and my computer set at 100% and control the volume via my 2270. Hookup was super simple and went without a hitch.

I listen to a lot of prog rock, 70s rock, and metal. Tunes from everything to Genesis, Neal Morse, Testament, Peter Gabriel, etc. all show noticeable improvement.

It's been interesting to read the impressions posted so far from others in the AK community and I look forward to reading more as they are posted!
 
Last edited:
After reading a ton of reviews and discussion posts all over the net on the Modi DAC, I ordered one recently. I've only had it a few days so far, but I wanted to share my initial impressions. ...
What was your previous DAC? The onboard soundcard from your PC?
 
After reading a ton of reviews and discussion posts all over the net on the Modi DAC, I ordered one recently. I've only had it a few days so far, but I wanted to share my initial impressions.

The only other DAC I considered was the HRT Streamer II, but decided for the Modi based on reviews/online forum discussions. I am new to the whole DAC experience and decided to go for it considering the difference I was hearing between my mp3's and my other audio. The ordering process was simple and delivery was quick. I sent an email to them asking for some basic info on hookup and they responded quickly.

Receivers:

Marantz 2270/Onkyo A10

Speakers: Klipsch Forte I/Boston A150

Music: mp3's via Itunes at 128kbs/256kbs /occasional Spotify.

Computer: Dell - just a few years old;

Situation: compared to my CD's and vinyl - my mp3's were quite lacking in sound via my system without the DAC. Somewhat muffled, just not as clear or enjoyable as far as the listening experience, but decent enough to get by.

The Schiit: WOW! I'm not given to hyperbole but I must say that I noticed and hear significant improvement, which is getting better as time passes. I don't know whether the whole 'burn-in' phenomena is real or more psychological and plan to read up further on it. I do hear more clarity in the music as time progresses however. This is what I am hearing a few days in:

The music sounds much more clear and transparent. Much closer to CD quality - may continue to improve over time. Definite, noticeable improvement in instruments standing out with clarity. So far I've only been listening on the Forte's via the 2270. Will switch to the Onkyo with the A150s in time. The music just sounds more alive. I have the volume on Itunes and my computer set at 100% and control the volume via my 2270. Hookup was super simple and went without a hitch.

I listen to a lot of prog rock, 70s rock, and metal. Tunes from everything to Genesis, Neal Morse, Testament, Peter Gabriel, etc. all show noticeable improvement.

It's been interesting to read the impressions posted so far from others in the AK community and I look forward to reading more as they are posted!

Yeah, my dac (HRT MSII) definitely went through a burn-in period. And HRT's customer-service was the best I've ever experienced (Email replies within 15 minutes from the guy who designed the thing... How can you beat that?). I probably would have bought the Modi, but I don't think it had come out yet. Nonetheless, I'm thrilled with the performance of the MSII. And it's been able to grow with my system.
 
Sounds like you really like the HRT. What's been your experience with how the music sounds? Good to hear about customer service too.
 
Please delete - double post. That's right, was just using the soundcard on my computer. I considered upgrading it, but all things considered, the external DAC seemed like the most bang for the buck.
 
What was your previous DAC? The onboard soundcard from your PC?

That's right, was just using the soundcard on my computer. I considered upgrading it, but all things considered, the external DAC seemed like the most bang for the buck.
 
I have this DAC, I also had a Cambridge Audio DACMagic the original version. While the DACMagic was a $450 DAC originally and has more connectivity, in my system the Schiit Modi sounds better. I'm thinking this is mostly because of it's ability to do async USB from my MBP. I may be acquiring a Peachtree Decco 2 with the ESS Sabre DAC soon, so if I do maybe it'll best the Modi. Considering I paid half new retail for mine ($50) I'm thrilled with it.
 
Allow me to revive this thread, now that you all have an extra six months' experience with your entry level DACs:

I've got my eye on a Modi. Love to hear what people think. My plan is to play flacs from a PC into my newly-overhauled Marantz 2230 driving Pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelf speakers. Maybe a little streaming.

I have $300, absolute tops, budgeted. But, for $99 I can get the Modi, spend what's left on quality cables, and still have $$$ left over. That's mighty tempting.

I am also looking at:

Emotiva XDA-2 (most expensive, more flexible)

JDS Labs ODAC (their claims border on hype)

HRT Music Streamer II (2d choice at present)

EDIT: Henry Audio USB DAC 128 (just found this one. "open source")

The other thing is noise from the computer. HRT emphasizes isolation between computer and audio. Modi touts that you can run a long cable between computer/DAC and your analog input. I have even seen standalone USB isolators.

I come from the analog era, but I am comfortable with computers and digital. I'd love to hear what yinz think.
 
Last edited:
I've owned a Schiit Modi for around a year now. I'm using it on my PC rig.

Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop

Audioengine A2 Speakers ... slight toe in ... elevated with 1" Felt Furniture Pads stacked (DIY Feet) so that tweeters are aimed at ears.

Yamaha YST -SW012 subwoofer ... red out of Modi is split with one going to Audioengine A2 and other going to Yamaha sub. The sub gives the Speakers more weight (larger sound).

Speakers & Sub were positioned numerous times to account for room acoustics

It has been in constant use and have had no issues with the unit.

I listen to streaming (Xbox Music, Spotify, YouTube, Itunes ... etc.) .... not high res or lossless. My high res listening is still accomplished on Vinyl & CDs.
 
Last edited:
I've been looking hard at the Modi but I need two sets of outputs for bi-amping.

The only cheap dual output DAC I've found so far is the ODAC ( RCA version ).
 
Heck, for $99 just get two. I bought mine off Barter Town on a whim as I had been using the audio out from my Mac Mini, and realizing probably $5 was invested in the audio output, thought a DAC would improve my sound. It did.Plug it in and forget about it. If all you need is USB to RCA, hard to beat this devise.
 
I haven't heard the Modi but I have had the original dragonfly and currently have the 1.2. The 1.2 now resides in the music room with my laptop. I prefer the sound of my NAD d1050 on my main system but I do like the dragonfly sound. I do agree though that a USB DAC for under a 100 bucks is pretty sweet and would love to the hear Schiit for myself!
 
Heck, for $99 just get two. I bought mine off Barter Town on a whim as I had been using the audio out from my Mac Mini, and realizing probably $5 was invested in the audio output, thought a DAC would improve my sound. It did.Plug it in and forget about it. If all you need is USB to RCA, hard to beat this devise.

Not sure my iMac will output into two DAC's simultaneously?
 
This is somewhat new to an old brain so I have a question. I have a Lenovo PC and replaced the internal sound card with the Behringer 222 external USB sound card which has RCA out and in connectors plus a mini jack for headphone output. Sells for $29. The in and out RCA connections feed to my Yamaha AS500 amp. The mini jack is connected to a Cambridge Soundworks system for listening at the computer.

Is the Behringer considered as a digital to analog converter? From what I am reading, the Shiit has 24 bit capability and the Behringer is 16 bit, but I don't know how that would affect the sound if I am getting audio from CD or the internet.
 
Last edited:
My Modi 2 Uber was waiting for me when I got home awhile ago. I plan on swapping out the HRT and setting up tomorrow. I'll check back in with my thoughts, I'm looking forward to hearing a difference.
 
My Modi 2 Uber was waiting for me when I got home awhile ago. I plan on swapping out the HRT and setting up tomorrow. I'll check back in with my thoughts, I'm looking forward to hearing a difference.

Do you have the original Modi? Was wondering if there was a difference in sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom