• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Review-Yaqin MC-10L. My first post too

jonnysocko

Member
Hi guys. I did my intro on the introductions page and figured I might as well contribute some content to help pay back what I've enjoyed to this point for free and I thank you. My review is concerning the Asian Co Yaqin and in particular the MC-10L. Excuse any terminology I may use concerning audio listening. I'm by no means an audio expert but I think I know what sounds decent. So please forgive my lingo. This amp was pre tested by a Co in Canada and delivered to my door for under $500. You couldn't even build it for that in this nice of a package and chassis. I figured that they might skimp on some component quality to achieve this low price and I was willing to do a few upgrades at this price, But believe it or not they actually used pretty good components and the build quality is very good. Even the transformers are of high quality and you guys know that's a big thing in tube amp design. You can't skimp on your iron. Their beefy and well insulated using thin well meshed plates. All the tube sockets seem to be of reasonable quality as well and the rest of the circuit, layout and wiring is neat and well done. The amp is simply beautiful with a fairly heavy chrome chassis and brushed aluminum face plate. A nice touch is the easy access bias adjustments on each output stage, Smart!. To top it off they even installed some neat blue LEDs to shine up through the glass envelopes of the preamp tubes. A neat beautiful amp for under a 500 bones. The sound? I'm impressed. I'm driving this amp with a SS Dynaco PAT-5 preamp with Van Alstine mods. I'm not sure the PAT-5 is the best match? Latter I'll be using a tube preamp of my own design but the sound is nice, well defined and very smooth. The bass is unbelievable and the mids are not washed out. The highs are clear and not ice picky or fatiguing at all. The detail of the music is excellent. The small details like faint breath on the mics and subtle string noise is coming through nicely. I'm a musician and my perspective on audio reproduction is a comparison to live music and if a sound system can deliver those subtle sounds close to being there in person, It can put you in the music so to speak. I'm sending the output into a set of klipsch Kg4 speakers which suit this amp well. I listen to all kinds of music from the 40s & 50s big bands, Sinatra, Blues, Classic Country, Vintage Rock and hard stuff like Judas Priest, Alice in Chains etc... So this amp gets a work out and over time has really started to sing. I've owned a number of nice tube power amps over the years and I would hate to give comparisons without having them side by side and a number of variables come into play anyway i.e. speakers, room etc... But it's safe to say this is a very nice amp that I think would give some more expensive amps at the very least a little competition. I think if you decide on a purchase of your own, Yaqin is a good bet.

I should mention the service I got when ordering this amp and the Co I ordered it from is "tabnaac" and they are on Ebay with a perfect seller rating. The amp came packaged as well as anything I've ever ordered in the mail. I was impressed. Latter I'd like to try some quality vintage valves in this thing and I'll update with my findings. Here's my little setup for this amp in my den.
mc1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Ohhh! You have a beautiful AA-32 just beside!

Yea it's in great shape and sounds real nice. It just needs the volume pot replaced. It cuts out about half way on the right chanel. It's one of those dual gang type pots. It even has it's original manual and was built by someone who knew how to solder. Here's some pics:
h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg
 
Cool looking Heathkit for sure...

Mine is also having volume pot problems: it doesn't track equally but it is usable however.

If I were you, I'd change those filter caps ASAP.

Patrice
 
Cool looking Heathkit for sure...

Mine is also having volume pot problems: it doesn't track equally but it is usable however.

If I were you, I'd change those filter caps ASAP.

Patrice

I agree, ASAP for sure. So you have one as well, There neat little amps.
 
It's good to hear a review from someone who has had experience with other tube amps. Please let us know how things go after tube upgrades. I would love to hear comparisons with vintage amps you may have.
 
Yeah, I have that yaqin but my pre-tubes got microphonic this weekend.
Ordered 6n23p's from ukrain to replace them, now I just have to wait :).

Now I'm looking for some good replacements for the el34's, are you thinking about 'tube-rolling'?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the review;

I, like you, am rather new -- I lurk a lot.

I have a great interest in these Yaqin amps, and post like these make my wallet sad! :)
 
Yeah, I have that yaqin but my pre-tubes got microphonic this weekend.
Ordered 6n23p's from ukrain to replace them, now I just have to wait :).

Now I'm looking for some good replacements for the el34's, are you thinking about 'tube-rolling'?

I replaced stock Chinese EL34's with Russian SED winged "C" and they sound absolutely great.
 
I used to have an MC-10L, its a pretty decent amp. For the money, you cant beat it. Ive rolled Winged C EL34s, 6CA7EH, and 6P3S-Es...my favorites being the Winged Cs and 6P3S-Es. I didnt care too much for the 6CA7EH...too shrill sounding IMO. I sold it a few months ago to finance my DIY SE 6B4G, which definitely was a big step up from the MC-10L. I know comparing SE to PP is apples to oranges, but both cost me around the same amount. IMO, I feel the MC-10L would benefit greatly from an OPT upgrade. Good OPTs would really wake up an already good sounding amp. I feel the MC-10L is at its price point because of the OPTs used. While decent, theyre definitely not great. A pair of Edcors or James would kick that amp into high gear.
 
I used to have an MC-10L, its a pretty decent amp. For the money, you cant beat it. Ive rolled Winged C EL34s, 6CA7EH, and 6P3S-Es...my favorites being the Winged Cs and 6P3S-Es. I didnt care too much for the 6CA7EH...too shrill sounding IMO. I sold it a few months ago to finance my DIY SE 6B4G, which definitely was a big step up from the MC-10L. I know comparing SE to PP is apples to oranges, but both cost me around the same amount. IMO, I feel the MC-10L would benefit greatly from an OPT upgrade. Good OPTs would really wake up an already good sounding amp. I feel the MC-10L is at its price point because of the OPTs used. While decent, theyre definitely not great. A pair of Edcors or James would kick that amp into high gear.
So is it possible to replace the OPT's on this amp with better ones without changing anything else? And if yes, where would you buy them?
Thanks.
 
Yeah, I have that yaqin but my pre-tubes got microphonic this weekend.
Ordered 6n23p's from ukrain to replace them, now I just have to wait :).

Now I'm looking for some good replacements for the el34's, are you thinking about 'tube-rolling'?



VERY easy to find tube without ordering from the Baltic. (not a dealer endorsement..)
http://thetubestore.com/6dj86922types.html

Also see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/110483-yaqin-mc10l.html

I have a couple of Yaqin tube amps also. They're always good-sounding, but thermal managment could be improved.
 
Last edited:
So is it possible to replace the OPT's on this amp with better ones without changing anything else? And if yes, where would you buy them?
Thanks.

Sure you can, just get OPTs that are built to the same specs as the stock ones. Youre in AU, so Im not sure where youd buy OPTs from there. Theres an MC-10L schematic out there floating around somewhere, and it does show the specs of the OPTs.
 
Sure you can, just get OPTs that are built to the same specs as the stock ones. Youre in AU, so Im not sure where youd buy OPTs from there. Theres an MC-10L schematic out there floating around somewhere, and it does show the specs of the OPTs.
For quality OPT's down here in OZ, you would find it hard to beat the hand wound ones that Earle makes for his lovely amps, he also sells the OPT's seperate.
http://www.westonacoustics.com/default.htm

Very nice guy too :)

Also http://www.turneraudio.com.au/
Patrick has been doing this for a long time and has a excellent rep', he is very..very good.

(I have no affiliation with weston acoustics or turner audio)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom