• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Revox B795 P20 MDR all original mint condition unplayed

NightFox12

New Member
Hello

Several years ago now I was given a Revox B795 direct drive turntable from my father. He had originally bought it brand new in the early 80's and it never spun. He had brought it to a repair shop at some point and they were not able to fix it. 30+ years later I took it on as a project and with the help of someone from another forum we went through the circuitry replacing the old capacitors and what have you. Along the way I found that the issue the entire time was a printed circuit board defect where the solder never made it to the post. Once I scratched away the coating and applied a new line of solder, the motor spun up perfectly.

Some time has passed since then (2012) and now I am at the point where I would like to finish up this project. My last work I did was replacing the old long style RCA plugs with modern ones as the older ones were too long to fit in modern RCA ports.

Currently I have it hooked up to a DJ mixer Audio Technica Atus AM100 that I borrowed from a friend of mine who used to DJ and used this as his backup for his main AM300E I believe. I eventually might look into getting the Cambridge Audio 551P to match my Azur 640A integrated amp. Before that though I wanted to get some advice on the cartridge/stylus. I am guessing it is a no brainer that the 36+ year old stylus is probably dried up, and I'm not sure what happens to cartridges, weakened magnet?

To be clear the player has not spun a single record since the day it was manufactured, and the original Revox P20 MDR cartridge is still in it, and I do have the alignment kit still brand new in the box. The entire player sat in its original box for all those years and there is not a single scratch on it.

I have only played used but in decent condition records sparingly to test. Some records with high pitch brass make it through okay, while other records there is a lot of distortion on high notes. Lots of reverb/distortion on louder vocals and it doesn't handle bass very well on some 80's records. I listen to a wide range of music from 80s pop, 60-70s oldies, classical/orchestra, and probably my favorites are film scores like the bond movies scored by John Barry.

In my readings I am seeing that there are replacement styli for the MDR but at the price they are going for I am wondering if I am better off putting a new cartridge in. The Ortofon OM10 seemed like a decent choice, but I would like everyone's input. I don’t think I want to spend over $150. I am not an intense audiophile, but I would like to see a great improvement within my budget. I am pushing some JBL L100’s with my Azur 640A.

Thanks for your help!
 
Register to hide this ad
I am guessing it is a no brainer that the 36+ year old stylus is probably dried up,

That is 100% the correct diagnosis. It is a problem with the AKG styli (The Revox cartridge is a rebadged AKG). One option is to replace the stylus suspension, which is a good idea since the diamond is in new condition, and it is a good cartridge otherwise.
If you cannot find anyone to replace the elastomer/suspension, any of the current Ortofon OM cartridges are a good match: you can start cheap with the OM5 and upgrade the stylus as you need better performance.
Any original AKG or Revox styli may be in as bad a condition as the one you have, so be wary of such for sale.
 
Hello


To be clear the player has not spun a single record since the day it was manufactured, and the original Revox P20 MDR cartridge is still in it, and I do have the alignment kit still brand new in the box. The entire player sat in its original box for all those years and there is not a single scratch on it.


Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Stereoneedles have some AKG stylus. :)
http://www.stereoneedles.com/AKG.html
 
I have owned my B795 since it was only 6 months old (mid 80's). Mine also came with the P20MDR cartridge. Though I also used a Stanton 681EEE-II-S and a Grado Gold1 at times the original AKG built cartridge is a wonderful cartridge. I still have the original stylus and I've been using it lately and it sounds great. No visual sagging of the suspension and it does an excellent job tracking the Shure Audio Obstacle Course LP. Maybe I'm just lucky. I also have the cartridge mounting kit which really is a must for changing cartridges. Get a digital scale though as the see saw type tracking force gauge that came in the kit is pretty crude. Digital scales can be had from Amazon for about $20. I have owned and used this turntable for many years and am very familiar with it. If I can be of any help feel free to ask. One tip, when installing or removing the dust cover from the hinges do it straight in/out with hinges fully up. Many tabs get broken off the dustcover when done incorrectly! Manuals are available at vinylengine.com. You have to register but it's free.
Again, let me know if you need help with setup or anything.
Good luck.

Below is my B795 with my Grado Gold1 cartridge playing a 45rpm 12" stereo record.

IMG_20130331_133320_272.jpg
 
That is 100% the correct diagnosis. It is a problem with the AKG styli (The Revox cartridge is a rebadged AKG). One option is to replace the stylus suspension, which is a good idea since the diamond is in new condition, and it is a good cartridge otherwise.
If you cannot find anyone to replace the elastomer/suspension, any of the current Ortofon OM cartridges are a good match: you can start cheap with the OM5 and upgrade the stylus as you need better performance.
Any original AKG or Revox styli may be in as bad a condition as the one you have, so be wary of such for sale.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it was you who helped me years ago from vinylengine forums to get the Revox up and running! I am looking into refurbishing the stylus.

If the cost is significantly more than the ortofon OM10 for instance do you still think I should be reviving the old cartridge/stylus? Is there a lot of improvement in cartridges that I would be missing out on?
 
The Revox cartridge was not the best that Revox installed into their turntables, by their own admission. For better performance in 1980, they offered several AKG badged cadtridges, or the Ortofon VMS series. Later on they offered one of the Shure V15 and the Shure TP4 types.
 
I used a Stanton 681EEE-II-S for years in it and was very pleased. My Grado Gold1 performs even better.
 
I have been using a Revox B795 with a Stanton681EEE since 1982, but do not play records very often anymore.
I think I read on a German forum once that if you bring the B795 to the official Revox Service in Germany for refurbishing and do not specify a particular cartridge they mount the Ortofon 2M Blue.
 
I ended up going with Ortofon OM10 which I can upgrade later if needed. Replacement was easy and it sounds great now! Thank you all for your advice.

P9093158.JPG
P9093163.JPG
 
I'm in this same position now. I have a B795 with an Ortofon X5-MC. Is it easy to change over to an Ortofon OM series please? I'd ready have shims and spacers before and it freaked me out a bit.
 
Back
Top Bottom