AngelAT
Well-Known Member
Hello fellow AKs!
I recently acquired a nice Revox Model40 which had some issues. I believe I resolved (almost) all of them. Replaced all 8 tubes - output tubes matched as close as possible. Same for the preamp tubes.
Now I am enjoying the sound but I noticed two things: left channel is louder and the balance does not mute the channel when fully engaged.
These made me dig the net and from what I understand this might be ok for the Model40. From the user manual it’s clear that the balance only shifts 10db. And it also says that the balance is to compensate when using different speaker systems or room specifics.
It worked for me - with placing the balance between 2 and3 o’clock the image was perfectly centered.
Should I accept that as normal or should I keep on digging: swapping preamp tubes, looking for defective components?
Thanks in advance!

I recently acquired a nice Revox Model40 which had some issues. I believe I resolved (almost) all of them. Replaced all 8 tubes - output tubes matched as close as possible. Same for the preamp tubes.
Now I am enjoying the sound but I noticed two things: left channel is louder and the balance does not mute the channel when fully engaged.
These made me dig the net and from what I understand this might be ok for the Model40. From the user manual it’s clear that the balance only shifts 10db. And it also says that the balance is to compensate when using different speaker systems or room specifics.
It worked for me - with placing the balance between 2 and3 o’clock the image was perfectly centered.
Should I accept that as normal or should I keep on digging: swapping preamp tubes, looking for defective components?
Thanks in advance!
