• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rewiring the Marantz 2325 from Amp (P700) to Output Jacks with Higher Guage wire?

OFrank

Member
Has anyone, while restoring a Marantz 2325, re-wired (with a larger gauge wire) and routed the wiring for the audio outputs from the power amp output to the relay, speaker selector to the output jacks? I was thinking about 16 AWG oxygen free copper wire. Is it advisable to do so? Any comments?
Thank you all in advanced! O. Frank
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I'll wade into dangerous territory! I've seen it done but I'm not sure exactly who it was so won't divulge a name. He's on the East Coast though. Honestly you won't gain much over such a short run, maybe an extra watt or two. The line voltage variations account for more than that with normal fluctuations. I've rebuilt several of these and have one going right now and they make well over their 125 watt rating as is. Bypassing the speaker selector switching may make more of a difference actually and would be a natural if rewiring but don't bypass the relay!

As far as a different type of wire making a difference in sonics - I'm definitely not going there!

The fun and satisfaction of doing it would easily be worth it though, so go for it if you feel like it. :biggrin::thumbsup:
 
It’s your time and effort of course but my 2 cents is that 16 gauge wire will be difficult to work with. Routing, bending, securing to existing wire tabs, etc. None of the connection points are built for that size wire and without a solid mechanical connection prior to soldering your joints have a decent chance of failing.

If you are going to do this you might as well change out the speaker terminals. The existing ones can barely handle a tightly wound 18 gauge wire much less a thicker 16 gauge, assuming you want the same wire going all the way to your speakers.

Good luck with your project. :D
 
If anything the pushbutton speaker switches and relay contacts and speaker terminals would be more of a weak link than the extisting internal wiring I would think.
After taking apart some of those speaker switches, I agree. There just isn't very much contact area and unless you cleaned them, they have a few ohms of resistance. When I cleaned my 2285B speaker switches and lubed them with DeOxit grease, my measurements showed a .5 ohm drop in resistance over the switch contacts. Had to be the green crap I cleaned off :)
 
ok, so I have tried this. Marantz used solid core wire for some areas and braided for others. I actually tried many, and liked Kimber TCSS.

TCSS1-L.jpg
 
Well, I'll wade into dangerous territory! I've seen it done but I'm not sure exactly who it was so won't divulge a name. He's on the East Coast though. Honestly you won't gain much over such a short run, maybe an extra watt or two. The line voltage variations account for more than that with normal fluctuations. I've rebuilt several of these and have one going right now and they make well over their 125 watt rating as is. Bypassing the speaker selector switching may make more of a difference actually and would be a natural if rewiring but don't bypass the relay!

As far as a different type of wire making a difference in sonics - I'm definitely not going there!

The fun and satisfaction of doing it would easily be worth it though, so go for it if you feel like it. :biggrin::thumbsup:


could have been me, lol!
 
^^^ Ayyuppppppppp!

… and I have a ton of respect for you Pat!!

These kinds of mods are fun to do and play with. What the heck, you never know when something will make a positive improvement but it won't happen if it's not tried. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom