• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rf-83 Klipsh--------803d B&W

eljr

Koyaanisqatsi
Can someone give me an idea on the differances between the Klipsch RF-83 and the B&W 803d's?

B&W 803's-----------------RF-83
90db----------------------100db
350 hz--------------------1650 hz
50w-375w-----------------250w-1000w
$8,000 pair----------------$2,498 pair

Why are the B&W's so much more expensive?
 
Register to hide this ad
B&Ws are perceived to have more cachet and 'higher end' brand name. Kind of like comparing a BMW and a Ford. That being said, I'd prefer the 'ford' Klipschorn to the 'BMW' Matrix Series...
 
I've heard the B&W 803's...don't hold a candle to my Cornwall I's which are powered by a McIntosh MAC-1700. The B&W's were powered by an MC-402 and MC-275. Same test CD, about 3 hours listening time.
 
I've heard the B&W 803's...don't hold a candle to my Cornwall I's which are powered by a McIntosh MAC-1700. The B&W's were powered by an MC-402 and MC-275. Same test CD, about 3 hours listening time.

Thanks.
I was wondering about the price difference hence differences between the B&W 803's and the RF-83.
 
Not to be overly obtuse, but any premise that begins with trying to compare B&Ws (of any flavor) to Klipsch speakers is really comparing apples to oranges. Even though Cornwalls and RF-83s are not fully horn-loaded in the traditional sense, both models use horns to a certain degree, which sound and behave quite different from more traditional radiators, such as found in the 803s. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of B&W speakers and would probably prefer my modded Klipschorns any day of the week. Then again, I like the sound of horns. Some don't, however, and prefer all direct radiating speakers. Having heard some 803s (not "d"s though), I cannot say that I disliked them. They are just different. Like some opting for a performance car over a luxury car (perhaps a bad analogy).

Additionally, B&W 803s hold a different position with respect to the manufacturer's lines so it may also be comparing apples to oranges as far as pecking order to compare them to RF83s. For that matter, maybe a thread comparing B&Ws to Klipschorns or Jubilees might be more appropriate, given those two speakers' places within the Klipsch family.

As far as price goes, I'm sure that "diamond" tweeters and Kevlar drivers contribute to the higher cost of 803s as well as details in the cabinet and crossover construction. Then again, the built-in overhead probably is substantial - given some of the target audiences.

Overall, however, there is no denying Klipsch's bang for the buck concerning any of its speakers.
 
cant say about the rf83, but i listened to a pair of 803s hooked to a mcintosh 6900 and i wasnt impressed. they did have nice bass, but the mids and highs sounded compressed to me. im not really up on all the audiophile terms, so forgive my ignorance. the mids and highs were all there and accurate, but not very dynamic. i like my rf7s a lot better and wouldnt trade straight up for the b&ws. in my opinion the klipsch is a much more open speaker, way better dynamics. ymmv. regards, jeff
 
Traditional dome and cone designs, no matter how much money is thrown into them, will sound constricted and lifeless to a typical horn listener.

Nice post Carl. Yeah, if you're going to compare a Klipsch speaker to a $8000 B&W -- pick something in the Klipsch lineup that matches the pricepoint. Even still, I'm sure I'd probably still pick the RF-83.:)
 
Traditional dome and cone designs, no matter how much money is thrown into them, will sound constricted and lifeless to a typical horn listener.

that's exactly how they sounded too dean. dead. the music was there, just wasnt musical. I asked the guy there if he sold many of them and he said oh yea. in all fairness, it wasnt a very good room. very small and you realy couldnt crank em. even so..........regards, jeff
 
Traditional dome and cone designs, no matter how much money is thrown into them, will sound constricted and lifeless to a typical horn listener.

Nice post Carl. Yeah, if you're going to compare a Klipsch speaker to a $8000 B&W -- pick something in the Klipsch lineup that matches the pricepoint. Even still, I'm sure I'd probably still pick the RF-83.:)

Why thank you, Mr. Wescott. :bigok:

And I agree that I would probably also prefer RF-83s. :guitar:

BTW, Al's ES/APT networks are still the "bomb" with Trachorns and tubes. :music:

Worth every penny.
 
So the general sentiment is that Klipsch speakers in general are better speakers for the money than B&W speakers?

Thanks for the replies
 
I am a big Klipsch fan but give a big two thumbs down on the RF-83. I have auditioned these in a store and was dissapointed.

I do own their little brother...the RF-52's. I have these pushed with a Carver C-1 and a McIntosh MC250. They do prettty good in a small room. There is no "live" sound like the Klipsch Heritage line or Pro line.

Yes there is apples to oranges comparison here. For the price of the B & W stuff......I would much more prefer $$$ on the Big horns.

jc
 
no, I think the general sentiment is that those who prefer Horns like Klipsch better than non horn speakers...
Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom