• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RIP VINYL to Computer Audio

charter21p5

New Member
I am looking for excellent software to record my vinyl records to a computer file.

My ultimate goal is to preserve the analog sound as best as possible and with the highest sample rate possibe while converting to a computer audio file. I would also like to identify the best way to convert the files from a raw format to more portable format such as an MP3 (a lossless format is my requirement such as WMA lossless or apple's lossless).

I tried Audacity and was able to rip to .wav files however each song is at 400MB~ and I wasn't able to identify a good conversion for a smaller file size.

What high end software is out there or recommended?

I know HDtracks has high quality audio files for sale however I would rather rip my own record collection.

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Pure Vinyl is excellent. I use it for regular playback and find it the equal of my previous high end phono stage (it has a digital RIAA filter). On the occasions that I want to rip a record I just hit record and listen.
 
400MB per song? What bit depth and sampling rate are you using? Even 24-bit, 96-kHz should be only 32MB/minute. So either those are very long songs or something is misconfigured.

The Vinyl Studio software can be used with a PC-connected ADC device. It'll handle the recording, track splitting, tagging, and album art. It can also do simply de-clicking, but you're better of using the ClickRepair software for that if it's needed. It'll also save to FLAC, MP3, or possible other formats, and can burn audio CD-Rs.

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/

If you need a 24/96 capable ADC you could consider a Steinberg UR22.
 
Recording direct to .wav will definitely increase your file size. Unsure if 400mb per song increase though, but I recommend recording to FLAC to reduce size. EDIT: ALAC works fine on Ipods and is the equivalent of a FLAC. I use Foobar's Ipod Manager plugin to handle the library management and conversion of FLAC to ALAC.

Careful with Audacity. I don't know if this problem still exists, but there used to be an issue with Audacity capturing audio at true 24/96 when using Windows. There was some inherit limitation that although it may create 24/96 files, you'd only capture at CD quality and the rest of the data was just padding to create the full 24/96. No idea if this issue still exists, but it definitely was a problem in the past that not too many people knew about.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. This gives me a great start. I have a mac and alienware (win7). I mainly use my alienware as a daily computer.

I tried vinyl studio. I noticed the maximum depth I can get for recording via the microphone input jack (non-usb) is 48k @ 16bit. This doesn't appear to be any better than a CD for audio resolution. Very dissapointing...

My receiver is a 2 x denon avr-3802. My TT is a denon dp-47f. Any ideas on how I can increase the resolution of the recordings? I would like to come close to mirroring the audio quality of the original vinyls.
 
I was under the impression that you needed an external analog-digital converter device to do a first-class job on this. Not true?
 
Last edited:
Usually true.

charter21p5, the 16/48 thing is likely a hardware or driver limitation. Are you able to record at 24/48 or higher through that same input using any other software package?
 
Audacity has a global setting of 384000 however I am not sure if the audio is truly recording at this level. VinylStudio states the headphone jack hardware can only support 48k @ 16bit. If I used the digital input I can get up to 192 @ 24k.

Maybe I need something similar to a Steinberg UR22?
 
I would also like to identify the best way to convert the files from a raw format to more portable format such as an MP3 (a lossless format is my requirement such as WMA lossless or apple's lossless).

I tried Audacity and was able to rip to .wav files however each song is at 400MB~ and I wasn't able to identify a good conversion for a smaller file size..
I have used Audacity to record 44.1k/16 bit WAV files. There is a free plug-in for Audacity to convert to WMA and some other formats. I have used it to convert to WMA with good results.
 
You will only be able to record at whatever sample rate and bit depth your computer's soundcard is capable of...the only way to get a higher rate is to use an external box...I use the PSAudio NuWave Phono Convertor and record 24/192 WAV files...I WILL NOT use any kind of audio codec to save the files I record, but will compress them to use on portable devices, but always maintain an uncompressed file as my main archive...those are what I keep in my HTPC and playback with JRiver Music Center.

I tried another computer once with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard and was able to do 24/48 using the tape output from my Modulus 3A...not very impressive compared to what the PSAudio piece is capable of...

I've tried several software recorders and prefer Vinyl Studio.

I also tried to reduce the time necessary to record LP's by spinning the 33.3 RPM vinyl at 45 RPM and then using VS to slow down the recording to the proper speed but wasn't impressed and just do everything at real time rates....

I also tried the opposite, a 78 at 45 and then sped up and wasn't pleased either.

I also make sure my records are pristine by cleaning them with an Audio Systeme ultrasonic cleaner or my VPI 16.5 and Audio Intelligence Vinyl Systems cleaners...USB cables also made a difference in quality in reproduced and recorded sound.

But, as far as I know, you do have to use an external box to get higher bit and sample rates and to get the best sound possible from your vinyl....

Edited:
My reference to what you are able to record via the soundcard is only for analog, if you can get your analog converted to digital then your digital input may be capable of more.
 
I agree on using an external ADC. I used to use an M-Audio Audiophile USB, but it does not have any current drivers for it. Made some really nice needle drops with it several years ago.

It's a back-burner project for me, but I'm looking for either another good ADC that perhaps can work at 24/192 max, or a digital recorder I can hook into the audio system, then move the SD card over to the computer for editing. TASCAM and others make portable digital recorders that are surprisingly affordable. The trick is finding one that sounds good for audiophile use. Since it's a low priority, I have not yet located one. But I like the idea of using a separate recorder.

The hardware built into the average computer is quite nasty sounding in my experience. And as noted above, the sampling rates available are not exactly ideal.
 
This can be a tedious, time consuming process. I only rip 78's and a very few LP's not available on Rhapsody or Spotify.

Everything else I either just listen to the album or when not at home, listen to on a music service.
 
Maybe I need something similar to a Steinberg UR22?

Probably. It's not unusual for integrated sound devices to max out at 16/48. Most budget external ADCs also max out at 16/48 -- e.g. the Behringer devices, the ART DJ Phono w/USB connection, etc.

The UR22 isn't the most user-friendly device out there, but it seems to be well thought of. But I usually use a hand-held Edirol R09HR for my needledrops/rips. Records directly to an SD card, which I then move over to my laptop to copy over the files, process, split & tag, etc. Similar recorders are available from Tascam, Roland, Sony, Olympus and others. Some even for less than $100.
 
Last edited:
I can recommend a Focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 ADC with Vinyl Studio software on a Mac. With a decent phono preamp and a little practice you can make some very nice digital recordings of your albums. Vinyl Studio also has a decent set of editing tools.
 
... Careful with Audacity. I don't know if this problem still exists, but there used to be an issue with Audacity capturing audio at true 24/96 when using Windows. There was some inherit limitation that although it may create 24/96 files, you'd only capture at CD quality and the rest of the data was just padding to create the full 24/96. No idea if this issue still exists, but it definitely was a problem in the past that not too many people knew about.

Do you have some link that describes this condition? Never heard of it and I have been using Audacity for years with great success. Rip to .wav at 96000hz then off to FLAC or MP3 depending on my needs. Thanks.
 
To the OP, if you use a Mac have a look at Amadeus. Not free. It records to its own format, perhaps WAV with a different suffix, haven't messed with that.

I save those masters and split tracks, then it will export to nearly every format, I like FLAC best having done some sound tests, but I can reopen it and make AAC or Mp3 or Oggs if needed. It will even burn a CD from the 96/32 I can do with the built-in ADC, and the downsampling is very clean. Handy for sharing with codgers.
 
You need a DAW !! Audacity is kids play. Reaper is a great DAW at a fantastic price. Well actually its free if you don't want to pay for it. They offer it free to download and try and the trial is the full blown version. They go on the honor system as far as payment. I use three DAW's in my studio. Pro Tools, Reaper and Tracktion. I have converted tons of albums using Tracktion at the sample rate of 24/48 which produces fantastic results. Your DAC/ADC makes a difference too. For years I used the studio converters (Mackie). but recently set up a new rig using a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium which has RCA jacks. I have the pc connected to a Sansui 9090DB and use a Pioneer PL-518 with a AT440mla and get great results. The best thing is once its captured in the DAW, one can use the included plugins to change the overall sound of the recorded material. Reaper comes with some fantastic EQ's , Limiters, Filters, etc... Download Reaper and give it a try. PM me if you do and have any questions on setting it up. Here is the link to Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/
 
Back
Top Bottom