• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rogers Ravensbourne - thermistor advice!

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hi all - I'm restoring a lovely old Rogers Ravensbourne integrated amp, but I a problem with the power supply. There are four thermistors between the transformer secondary windings and the rectifier diodes. All of these thermistors - Mullard VA1033 - have crumbled away to dust.

What I'm thinking of doing is replacing them with similarly rated resistors - just to get power into the amp, so I can check / verify other areas. Would there be any major concerns about this approach? I appreciate that the thermistors are there to control thermal runaway etc but I'll only be running it to test and not under any load.
 
Register to hide this ad
Should be able to do that. Looks like a 3.9 or 3.3 ohm resistor would suffice for testing. If its in the power supply rather than the bias supply it shouldn't be overly critical. Sitting between transformer and rectifier, the only purpose I can really see it serving is to lower the inrush of charging the main filter caps. It wouldn't have anything to do with thermal runaway or anything like that.

1721143017619.png
 
One thing I am in the dark about is voltages - idle / bias etc - can't seem to find any figures for those type of settings anywhere. Normally. I would expect these to be in the service manual under 'adjustments'
 
Back
Top Bottom