• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rogers Studio 1

sealy

Addicted Member
Although I have some Celestion Ditton 25's and Technics SB7000's in my large listening room, these are my favourite speakers. I have them set up as the front end in my h/t system(NHT 1.3's as rears). I also listen to a lot of music through them. Powered by a Sony TAN ES55 power amp and a Harman Kardon tuner/pre-amp.

Who could hate a speaker that has two of the best tweets out there? A Celestion 1300 low tweet, combined with a KEF T 27 high tweet. Throw a Celestion 8 in. Poly low/mid driver into the mix and you have heaven.
The woofer is a bit of an enigma. Some models had the Bextrene cone, others(like mine) had the Celestion inverted-roll surround poly woofer. Neither type is light by any stretch, but the Celestion woofer may have a bit faster response to transients.

Anyhow, the bass is good, but the mids and highs? Yee-hah!! If you like the British sound, it can't get much better.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6875.jpg
    IMG_6875.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for the short review...I really do like the British sound, a lot. Those sound like a speaker I should really look for. I have a pair of Jim Rogers JR-149s, but they're not playable at the moment...bad B110 in one. I also have some vintage Kefs, B&Ws, and celestions...the British really know how to make s speaker that gets the music right. I bet that Celestion tweeter combination works really well.
 
Last edited:
It does indeed. I have a pair of those 1300's in each of the Celestion Ditton 25's I have elsewhere in the house. Amazing response for a paper tweeter.
 
Thanks for the short review...I really do like the British sound, a lot. Those sound like a speaker I should really look for. I have a pair of Jim Roger JR-149s, but they're not playable at the moment...bad B110 in one. I also have some vintage Kefs, B&Ws, and celestions...the British really know how to make s speaker that gets the music right. I bet that Celestion tweeter combination works really well.
I had a pair of the JR's as well. Superb near-field monitors. In my opinion, a close contender to the LS3 5A. Sadly no more. During a move, one was lost. The other died of a broken heart.
 
Although I have some Celestion Ditton 25's and Technics SB7000's in my large listening room, these are my favourite speakers. I have them set up as the front end in my h/t system(NHT 1.3's as rears). I also listen to a lot of music through them. Powered by a Sony TAN ES55 power amp and a Harman Kardon tuner/pre-amp.

Who could hate a speaker that has two of the best tweets out there? A Celestion 1300 low tweet, combined with a KEF T 27 high tweet. Throw a Celestion 8 in. Poly low/mid driver into the mix and you have heaven.
The woofer is a bit of an enigma. Some models had the Bextrene cone, others(like mine) had the Celestion inverted-roll surround poly woofer. Neither type is light by any stretch, but the Celestion woofer may have a bit faster response to transients.

Anyhow, the bass is good, but the mids and highs? Yee-hah!! If you like the British sound, it can't get much better.

Are your speakers similar to the BBC LS3/5a loudspeaker, in sound that is...
 
The LS3 5A probably resolves the mids slightly better. Amazingly, the LS3 5A also projects a very large sound stage, belying their diminutive size, but not the equal of the sound stage of the Studio 1's. The treble of the Studio 1's is at least as good, if not superior to that of the smaller speakers. The Studio 1's probably do everything else better. More bass, much greater dynamic range, in fact superb dynamics for their size due to their ability to handle lots of power. As with the JR149's, power handling/dynamic range limitations of the LS3 5A limit them to near-field listening, at which they are superb.
 
Back
Top Bottom