• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rogers Studio 1A & Technics- Any Good Ballpark Used Price Guesses?

madmonda

Active Member
How much would a very nice, original owner pair (possibly w/ packing and manuals) fetch on the used market?

How about some Technics SB-7000's?

Lastly, which of the two would be a better choice. My music tastes are all over the map. My room is a finished basement (medium sized listening area) that I'm still trying to get used to (just bought house 2 wks ago).

There's not too many hits using ebay's 'sold' prices search.

Any help is appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
Ebay says the Studio 1a sell in the $600 range, except that I see the same speakers being relisted after being sold. Maybe the real price is more in the $500 range, perhaps less locally. Someone told me they are very similar in sound to the LS7T, not sure if that's a price driver or not.

I picked up a pair with bad tweeters for fairly cheap. They also had the boxes and the manuals. I found out that replacement parts are not to be found anywhere (yep, should have checked ahead of time). The tweeters are also a very unusual size, where the faceplate is 5". Most normal tweeters faceplate dimensions are in the 3" area, this narrowed down what I could put in there. I got Audax 1.3" soft dome tweeters which are the closest thing to a fit. Of course, there had to be an asterisk: the Audax magnet is so large I had to clearance the cabinets to get them in there.

To add to it, one of the woofers worked when I picked it up, then stopped working when I got home. I picked up a pair of Celestion woofers which are very close to a fit, except not quite as sturdy in the basket department.

So, mine will never be saleable as Rogers. I do like them, and they're vastly different from my 2-way Altec / JBL setup.

They do sound very good. The best thing to determine if you like them would be to go for a listening test.
 
Those few technics models in the line you're looking at are supposed to be very impressive! I've only seen a pair, though I might've heard them for a minute. Either way, I remember looking at them and thinking the build quality was very good! Most technics speakers aren't worth a second look, but the ones your are considering would be!
 
Thanks for the replies. Both speakers are being offered at top prices. Not really an issue, but i don't want to spend the money and not be satisfied. I could do a listen test, but i feel very uncomfortable in stranger's home (too many horror movies, i guess...or maybe i watch the news too much).
 
...I could do a listen test, but i feel very uncomfortable in stranger's home (too many horror movies, i guess...or maybe i watch the news too much).

You are more likely to be mugged or car-jacked at a random gas station... but, whatever you feel comfortable with is the best bet.
 
I'll be honest, I would not spend a lot of money on anything I could not listen to first.
 
If you are going to pay top dollar for whichever ones you like, I'd definitely audition them both before making a decision--you might not even like either one and decide to pass on both.

As for safety, this guy is taking as big of a risk as you are--he is inviting a total stranger into his home. How does he know that you will not show up with a gun rather than cash? And now you know his address and can scope out the house for a future robbery.

From the sounds of it, you will be OK--not like he asked you to meet behind an abandoned warehouse in the ghetto.
 
Ebay says the Studio 1a sell in the $600 range, except that I see the same speakers being relisted after being sold. Maybe the real price is more in the $500 range, perhaps less locally. Someone told me they are very similar in sound to the LS7T, not sure if that's a price driver or not.

I picked up a pair with bad tweeters for fairly cheap. They also had the boxes and the manuals. I found out that replacement parts are not to be found anywhere (yep, should have checked ahead of time). The tweeters are also a very unusual size, where the faceplate is 5". Most normal tweeters faceplate dimensions are in the 3" area, this narrowed down what I could put in there. I got Audax 1.3" soft dome tweeters which are the closest thing to a fit. Of course, there had to be an asterisk: the Audax magnet is so large I had to clearance the cabinets to get them in there.

To add to it, one of the woofers worked when I picked it up, then stopped working when I got home. I picked up a pair of Celestion woofers which are very close to a fit, except not quite as sturdy in the basket department.

So, mine will never be saleable as Rogers. I do like them, and they're vastly different from my 2-way Altec / JBL setup.

They do sound very good. The best thing to determine if you like them would be to go for a listening test.
I fixed those rogers you sold me (the tweeters), but don't fit my musical tastes and want to now resell them. I see a lot in this area now being listed. Glut in the market for these?
 
Back
Top Bottom