• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rogue Cronus Magnum - advice sought

SeattleHiFi

Active Member
Hi all. I've been super interested in getting into tube gear the last year or so. I'm currently highly interested by the rogue cronus magnum, considering it's outstanding reputation and affordability. My real concern is the phono stage, which most people say is 'decent'.
I'm currently running a mcintosh C33 solid state pre, which by all rights is an excellent preamp and has two awesome phono stages (mm only.) going into an mc 2105 power amp.

My real question is, is anybody out here using the rogue with a vinyl front end (most of music listening is vinyl, some digital through my apogee duet 2).? How is the built in stage? What external phono preamps are you running and liking along with the rogue that are 700$ and under (budget for external phono preamp if the rogue stage isn't cutting it.)?

Really appreciate anyone's input here, thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
I am trying one out for a couple days. So far I'm feeding it with a brand new PhonomenaII, but I will be hooking up the TT direct to it to try it tonight. With the external, I love the sound.
 
I have owned a Cronus Magnum for 2+ years and one of the dislikes in the phono state. My dealer connects the demo with a Bellari and seems to work well. However, overall, the Cronus Magnum is a great value for a tube @ 100wpc.

Enjoy,
 
I tried the phono stage out tonight on the new unit and I would say it's "serviceable" but not exciting. I'm really liking the Phonomena.

Things may change a bit as the new unit breaks in a bit, as the new unit doesn't quite have the mesmerizing sound the demo unit had yet. Once it's got about 50-60 hours on it, I'll give you an update.

I would say you'd be best keeping the
 
Thank you bayoutiger, i really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like an external stage will still be in order. Have you had any experience listening to the pharaoh? I'm kind of lusting after an all tube design, but the phono stage in that appears to be much better, maybe based more on the triton or ares...
Thanks again!
 
I have only heard the Sphinx and Cronus. I think their stages are similar. The Pharaoh seems to be a bit different as it handles MM/MC. I went with the Phonomena because while the 2M Black is very high output (5mv) my BPSIII is only 2.5 and I have to really cramp any amp I own up to get decent volume from it with a 40db preamp.

Of course the Pharaoh is a hybrid amp so you would be losing the all tube aspect.
 
Hi all. I've been super interested in getting into tube gear the last year or so. I'm currently highly interested by the rogue cronus magnum, considering it's outstanding reputation and affordability. My real concern is the phono stage, which most people say is 'decent'.
I'm currently running a mcintosh C33 solid state pre, which by all rights is an excellent preamp and has two awesome phono stages (mm only.) going into an mc 2105 power amp.

My real question is, is anybody out here using the rogue with a vinyl front end (most of music listening is vinyl, some digital through my apogee duet 2).? How is the built in stage? What external phono preamps are you running and liking along with the rogue that are 700$ and under (budget for external phono preamp if the rogue stage isn't cutting it.)?

Really appreciate anyone's input here, thank you!

My gut says the rogue phono stage is not.going to hold a candle to what you have been using. I base this on pure economics...
 
I happen to have a Rogue 66 preamp, which has a tubed phono stage. It is a definite improvement over the stock phono in the Cronus , run through an aux. input.
 
Back
Top Bottom