• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Room for just 1 box - Made my own

jd-audio

Well-Known Member
Some time ago I converted a set of old and tired Wharfedale Linton 2 speakers in to a single speaker box. This because I had a very restricted space (wall cavity) to set up a vintage sound system.

I did not need a great sounding hi-fi system, but just a nice sounding system for daily use of the radio and occasional use of a record player. I had some time on my hands and after a beer or two thought: Why not? And did the following:

1. Checked if the old ugly Wharfedale speakers worked (they did) and disassembled them.

diy_box1.jpg

2. Made up my mind about how to make up a relatively simple box design, based on the volume of the original donor speakers (19 litres each). Made one single box containing two 19 litre spaces to accommodate the woofers and a separate space for the tweeters. Made the box proportions to fit the available wall cavity. Made the box out of MDF and sawed out the spaces for the speakers and the (rear) terminals. Put on some layers of paint.

diy_box2.jpg

3. Put the crossover in the box and mounted the tweeters and (later) the woofers, re-using the original Wharfedale dampening material.

diy_box3.jpg

4. After testing the speaker box was ready for finishing with speaker cloth.

diy_box4.jpg

5. The finished product from the front side.

diy_box5.jpg

6. At the rear you see both terminals to feed wat are actually still 2 speakers fitted in to one box.

diy_box6.jpg

7. The finished speaker box, put on small wheels and placed in the wall cavity.

diy_box7.jpg

8. Now we have a nice looking vintage setup for daily use. Although obviously without a stereo effect, the sound is actually surprisingly nice, with a strong low end and very reasonable mids and heights (keep in mind that the Wharfedale Linton 2 donor speakers are probably nothing special to begin with).

diy_box8.jpg

I had fun converting the old speakers in to a new single unit cabinet. And I got a very useful result that we enjoy every day.

Have fun
-John-
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a fine job!:thumbsup: your interior space matched the orig volume.

Keep in mind to have speakers just a little out from the edge for dispersion.

Wharfes do produce a nice sound. Biased on this brand, as mine are also housed within a 3 way DIY enclosure.

Q
 
Excellent work there, beautiful look!

Is that an acoustic suspension system? If so, I wonder how the springiness of the box works with one woofer getting different source material than the other.

I've thought about doing just that with a pair of KLH Seventeens, which are currently sitting next to each other due to space issues on our porch.
20210310_121648.jpg
Edit: on re-reading your post, it sounds like you isolated each of the woofers, correct?
 
Edit: on re-reading your post, it sounds like you isolated each of the woofers, correct?

Yes correct, I divided the outer box in to 3 sealed and reinforced levels: 1 for the bottom woofer, 1 for the top woofer and 1 for both tweeters. If you look closely to the nude pictures you can see the screw heads indication the seperation boards. So each woofer has it's own sealed identical "case".

Have fun
-John-
 
Last edited:
Very nicely done, the cabinet work looks excellent. I don't know much about the Wharfedales, but the fnished product turned out great. Have to love those smaller Sansui components though, lots of bang for the buck.
 
Excellent work there, beautiful look!

Is that an acoustic suspension system? If so, I wonder how the springiness of the box works with one woofer getting different source material than the other.

I've thought about doing just that with a pair of KLH Seventeens, which are currently sitting next to each other due to space issues on our porch.
View attachment 2327469
Edit: on re-reading your post, it sounds like you isolated each of the woofers, correct?

If you can't separate them I'm sure your seventeens already sound better are worth more and look fine next to each other.
I wouldn't ruin them trying to put them together in the same box. I suppose you could save the boxes and go back if you wanted.
Good luck
 
Some time ago I converted a set of old and tired Wharfedale Linton 2 speakers in to a single speaker box. This because I had a very restricted space (wall cavity) to set up a vintage sound system.

I did not need a great sounding hi-fi system, but just a nice sounding system for daily use of the radio and occasional use of a record player. I had some time on my hands and after a beer or two thought: Why not? And did the following:

1. Checked if the old ugly Wharfedale speakers worked (they did) and disassembled them.

View attachment 2327400

2. Made up my mind about how to make up a relatively simple box design, based on the volume of the original donor speakers (19 litres each). Made one single box containing two 19 litre spaces to accommodate the woofers and a separate space for the tweeters. Made the box proportions to fit the available wall cavity. Made the box out of MDF and sawed out the spaces for the speakers and the (rear) terminals. Put on some layers of paint.

View attachment 2328246

3. Put the crossover in the box and mounted the tweeters and (later) the woofers, re-using the original Wharfedale dampening material.

View attachment 2327403

4. After testing the speaker box was ready for finishing with speaker cloth.

View attachment 2327404

5. The finished product from the front side.

View attachment 2327405

6. At the rear you see both terminals to feed wat are actually still 2 speakers fitted in to one box.

View attachment 2327406

7. The finished speaker box, put on small wheels and placed in the wall cavity.

View attachment 2327407

8. Now we have a nice looking vintage setup for daily use. Although obviously without a stereo effect, the sound is actually surprisingly nice, with a strong low end and very reasonable mids and heights (keep in mind that the Wharfedale Linton 2 donor speakers are probably nothing special to begin with).

View attachment 2327408

I had fun converting the old speakers in to a new single unit cabinet. And I got a very useful result that we enjoy every day.

Have fun
-John-
Nice. I also sometimes rework things to suit my own needs or preferences.
 
I wouldn't ruin them trying to put them together in the same box. I suppose you could save the boxes and go back if you wanted.
Good luck
Anything I do would be completely reversible. A smaller footprint would be good, though, and more portable. The pristine cabinets would always be close by.
 
.. Have to love those smaller Sansui components though, lots of bang for the buck..

Yes, I love them. Both amp and tuner are from 1970, I had them fully serviced a few years ago and apart from replacing the odd lightbulb now and then, they prove very reliable. They are used daily for several hours.

They pare fine with the converted Wharfedale speaker (s). With a good record (on the - even older - Garrard 4hf with Shure M44-7 nos) the sound quality is much much better then I excpected from such an old set of gear (the Wharfedale speakers are from 1971). Very smooth without getting fatigueing at all.

Have fun
-John-
 
Back
Top Bottom