• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Router Connection for Streaming Device - Asking for a Friend

msobeldc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A friend just purchased a new Node and has it connected to WiFi. It's working OK but he'd ideally like to hard connect the Node by quality Ethernet cable directly to his router. That's not feasible for him since his router is in another part of his house far from his listening room. He was wondering if there's any benefit to installing a WiFi Extender in his listening room and then running the Ethernet cable directly from the Node to the WiFi Extender. That would seem to theoretically provide a stronger signal than just using the WiFi alone. Asking the knowledgeable folks on this Forum if you have any thoughts or advice on this approach or others. Thanks in advance for your time.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd do mesh wifi. I've not been impressed by extenders, though maybe they've gotten better. I have the EERO mesh wifi and I get strong signal upwards of 400 mbps in all corners of the house. If he's got a good internet package, that should be more than plenty for streaming
 
You can hardwire the node, it just takes a long wire! Yes, a WiFi extender will work if signal strength is a problem. but I use hardwire for a streamer and that works great. It was a pain to wire, but if your friend has an attic, then it should be doable.

The other option is to get a better router that projects the WiFi signal farther, the eero 6 pro is very good.
 
WiFi should be fine, but if he's having dropouts and other issues, a mesh network is the way to go. Extenders are usually crap.
 
The other thing they can do, is elevate their existing router. For example, my router is in the back of the house behind a bathroom, between it and several WiFi devices is a tiled walk in shower wall and a mirrored wall that cut down on the WiFi signal. So I elevated the router so it is above the tiled wall and mirror, I can now get a decent signal on the far side of the house, even on the front porch with a steel entry door between me and the router.
 
Last edited:
Ethernet cable can be run long distances. And if you don't mind drilling a few holes here and there then you can shorten that distance. Also routers can be daisy chained. But if he isn't into something like that then I get it...
 
If his wi-fi signal is stable where his Node is located, an ethernet connection won't make any difference. He will still need a good wi-fi signal to control the Node with a phone, tablet, or computer, so a stable wi-fi signal is important with a Node.
 
I was using an extender for my node, until my son in law set up a mesh system in our house. Have no clue how it works or what’s involved. Just know I never have problems now.
 
FWIW, I when trying to use a plug into the wall wi-fi extender that didn`t seem to work reliably (kept disconnecting my house`s wi-fi connection) yrs. ago to be able to get good reception strength from where the combo router/wi-fi node was located in my house from one side of the house to the other, so in my case I just put the dual band Asus that sports 3 external antennas on top of a 7 ft. high book case near where my gateway modem is located, and that gave me the physical "height gain" needed at those cranky microwave frequencies, with only longer ethernet cable needed to connect to ATT`s fiberoptic modem, and doing so allowed excellent coverage on both bands to the other end of the house nearly 80 ft. into a attached concrete block car garage fifteen yrs. ago.
 
What is the WiFi base station? Can it be moved? What version of WiFi is he using?
Hardwired is always best, but usually the hardest. You can have a couple room hardwired for not all that much money. Just have a jack at the base station, then a jack in the listening room.

Extenders are a bandaid. They give you better signal, but at reduced speed, & add another hop in the chain. Mesh is better, but you need quality equipment. Hence what I asked at first. A high quality base station will have far better antennas with more power. Just swapping the basestation can give whole house WiFi without all the other issues. But plan to spend at least $500 on one.
 
I have had success with "thru the electrical circuit" units. Cable from Router to 1 plugin unit in that room and another plugin unit where the Node is with a cable connecting them. I am currently using TP-Link units to supply a feed to 2 OPPOs and my HT Receiver. I also have a set of Sling units that do the same thing just sitting in a box.
 
I'd do mesh wifi. I've not been impressed by extenders, though maybe they've gotten better. I have the EERO mesh wifi and I get strong signal upwards of 400 mbps in all corners of the house. If he's got a good internet package, that should be more than plenty for streaming
This is exactly what I did. My streamer does not connect to wifi - it requires a wired connection, so using the Eero mesh setup negated the need to drill holes in my hardwood floors as well. Works great.
 
Eero 6 mesh user here to. Mine has to through 2 walls and about 50' to get to my streamer. I had 780 mb this morning. I also have a cat 6 wired connection but the wifi works so well I don't bother with it.
 
I installed an extender I got on sale for less than $50 to reach an outdoor security camera 180 feet from the extender point. It makes it just fine for carrying a video and audio signal going through one exterior wall.
 
I have several NETGEAR brand "Ethernet over Powerline" devices in my townhouse bringing Ethernet ports to media or audio streamers (including a Bluesound NODE). They work well. Caveat - I had an issue when I tried adding a third or fourth device, but everything settled down once I removed the extra device. I've recommended the same devices to friends needing an Ethernet connection in a distant room of their home.
 
Back
Top Bottom