• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RS 5B Opinions

Rod G-6000

Do I See Silver?!!
I'm going to look at some Infinity RS 5B's this afternoon.
One 10" woofer needs new foam but other than that they appear to be in excellent condition.
Of course both will get refoamed if I decide to pick them up.
I haven't found much info on these other than the specs from the Infinity Classic site.
Anyone here own these and wish to share their thoughts on them?

Here's a pic from the Infinity Classic Website:
http://www.infinity-classics.de/inf...B-1981-86/Reference-Standard-5B/RS_5B_3_1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Haven't owned these speakers specifically, but I have plenty of experience with 3 other models in this series. The RS-IIIb's that I own (the right-hand speaker in my avatar) are essentially the same speaker with an extra 10" woofer in each cabinet. So I think I can safely say that the 5b's should sound great. Be sure to feed them with good quality, high-current power in order to get the most out of them.
 
Thanks Tedrick.
I'll be trying them once refoamed on the G-8000.
(120wpc. measured @ 150wpc before clipping) paired with a set of DCM Timeframe TF700's.
 
Well.
I checked these out today and they are in decent condition but.....the polydome midranges are out on both speakers. It appears that the wire band for the voice coils? are broken. Not the tiny wires where the + & - hookups are but the one that goes around the outer plastic and sits inside the top of the mids.
Anyone know if this is repairable or would I need to try and locate replacement mids?
 
After doing some reading here I found that it's the wire on the diaphragm that's broken. Infnity no longer caries a replacement. I read the thread on repairing them and it looks like a good challenge. They don't work now and can't get any worse if I don't succeed.
 
Used Polydomes for these show up almost weekly on eBay. I've purchased 5 spares over the last 2 years for my RS-IIIb's off the 'bay. They usually sell for less than $75 for a pair.

Or, you can get OM replacement diaphragms from Orange County Speaker here.
 
I'll keep a look out on EBay. I have the Orange County site bookmarked in case I go that route. Seems like a lot of $ for the diaphragms buy if you want originals I guess there going to cost.
Thanks for the link Tedrick. If you run across any of these please keep me in mind.
 
I have them Paul. Got em for half the already low asking price. Just need some mids and do the woofer surrounds.
 
Good job!

Betcha they're gonna sound killer.

I've found earlier EMITs to be a bit sibilant in a live to somewhat live room, but have been told by others this version EMIT is a marked improvement and one heck of a tweeter.

When done, you're gonna have some sweet speakers indeedy.
 
Sorry I came late to the thread, but I have 2 pair of the 5bs, a pair of 4bs and IIIbs. The 5bs were really cheap and hooked me on infinities. As I progressed up the line I became amazed at the sound per dollar of the 5bs. The 4bs and IIIbs add range and depth to the bass. I know Tedrick also has the IIbs and started with the 4bs. Seems I'm always a step behind. :D

I think it safe to say you'll either love or hate them. The bass is not boomy but accurate. The tweeters and midranges are the same from the rs7 to the IIIbs. They are very high quality. The bass is main difference in all the speakers. And the 5bs are very good in the bass department. Enjoy!!!
 
Can anyone tell me which models, if any, used the same polydome midrange as the 5b. I'm on the hunt but it may take a while unless I go the new diaphragm route which I can't do right now. Cha-ching.
 
Can anyone tell me which models, if any, used the same polydome midrange as the 5b. I'm on the hunt but it may take a while unless I go the new diaphragm route which I can't do right now. Cha-ching.
RS-IIIa, RS-IIIb, RS-4b, RS-5, and RS-6 all used the same Polydome (PN 902-5016, with diaphragm PN 751-2417) as the RS-5b.

The RS-6000/6000A used a slightly different Polydome (PN 902-3186C) but had the same diaphram as the earlier versions. You could always get a pair of these and swap the diaphragms into your drivers.
 
Here's a couple of pics of the RS 5B's I picked up.
Only gave then a quick wipe down with Murphys Oill Soap so far.

Added a pic of my crazy little 5 year old Sarah. She just lost her 2 front teeth.
Paul, she's getting big.
 

Attachments

  • RS5-1.jpg
    RS5-1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 76
  • RS5-2.jpg
    RS5-2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 78
  • SArah-1.jpg
    SArah-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 61
Thanks.
Do you have a spec sheet for the RS 5B's?
In case you were still looking for the PN of the 5B woofer mine say:902-5079.
Pulled one out to prep for new surrounds. I must say this is the 2nd set of Infinity woofers I'll be refoaming and so far have been one of the stickiest, gooiest woogers to clean up.
 
Rodney,

honour asks about Sarah often.

If possible, we should make plans for the 4th of July (may have one day dedicated to a floridfian friend visiting, another to a NH friend) or at least soon before or after for the Brockton Fair.

The brockton fair is a bit rough, so if you'd prefer the Marshfield fair, it's a 4-H fair, and in late August.
 
Tedrick,
Will any of the Kappa Polydomes work in the 5B's?
Well, they might fit, but they are not the same unit. The diaphragm is definitely different, and I'd be willing to bet that the magnet structure, voice coil, and output levels are also different.
 
Back
Top Bottom