• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

RTR Guys: Where Are You Getting Tapes?

jmiles1960

Super Member
I'm running low on 7" RTR tapes and would like to know if it makes sense to buy new or take my chances on name brand used / sealed tapes on ebay. What's a decent price for a reel of 7" high end RTR tape these days? What sources are RTR guys using for buying new tapes? I continue to shop the thrift shops and craigslist for used ones, no luck in my area.

Thanks for the help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've said this before and I will say it again! There should be a "sticky" here about new tape. This would help to further educated people about how and where to buy new tape. It also helps our hobby by supporting the companies that still make tape. Once people think they can't buy new tape anymore they will stop doing research as to where they can purchase it. Makes sense to me. Any one else feel this way? Also included in that "sticky" could be a resource for known "good" used tapes.
 
As far as I've seen ATR and RGMI are the only producers of new tape. I have a friend who has purchased several pancakes of the ATR and says it's great tape. I personally shop ebay (like most of us) for NOS tape. I have purchased several lots of good quality used tape and have not been disappointed yet.

I actually scored big on tape in your area about 6 months ago when I answered a CL ad for a Revox a77. When I got there, the guy had the Revox (original owner) and about a dozen reels of Maxell UD 35-180, 4 of which hadn't been unwrapped. He threw them in with all the paperwork and a demag.

So...nobody apparently sells just tape, but if you ask those selling machines on CL about tape they may also have, you may get lucky!

James R.
 
+1 for US Recording Media. I've been using RGMI tape. I've also been recording over my large stock of old Maxell XLII from the 80's. I have had no shredding or sticking problems with it so far. But if it's a recording I know I want to keep over the long term, I use the RGMI.
 
So...nobody apparently sells just tape, but if you ask those selling machines on CL about tape they may also have, you may get lucky

I second the motion - I *tried* to score on CL a mint RT-909 in a town a few miles from me...(even though I called that very morning, it got sold just ahead of me) :tears:

$200.00 was the seller's price and there was that much $ worth of 10.5 Maxell tapes in the deal = practically free tape deck. So yeah check those tape deck listings carefully.

For used Maxell, etc..."that auction site" is one of the few choices left. :smoke:
 
Thanks guys. Excellent advice.

I agree, this should be sticky to guide others.

As Shane suggested: 1. Where to buy new tape. 2. A "tape directory" of RTR manufacturers, their tape offerings and a performance rating (both old and new vendors).
 
Thanks guys. Excellent advice.

I agree, this should be sticky to guide others.

As Shane suggested: 1. Where to buy new tape. 2. A "tape directory" of RTR manufacturers, their tape offerings and a performance rating (both old and new vendors).

A sticky guide would be good. Just beware of sticky tapes!
 
Thanks guys. Excellent advice.

I agree, this should be sticky to guide others.

As Shane suggested: 1. Where to buy new tape. 2. A "tape directory" of RTR manufacturers, their tape offerings and a performance rating (both old and new vendors).

Maybe not this particular thread as a "sticky" but one similar. Maybe a well written one that lists all the known businesses that sell tape on the Internet. Like US Recording media, etc. Also which new tapes are best, and also a guide to used tapes that don't have known problems like sticky shed. A simple well written "sticky" would be effective! and all that's needed!
 
Just keep looking, they will appear. I have bought dozens for next to nothing. Bought a whole box full, (from Viet Nam) pre-recorded from '68-'72 for ~ $2.00, they are wonderful. Lot's of classical ($10.00). Place a WANTED in your local paper........
 
Once you know who's manufacturing, a simple G**gle will get you most of the suppliers. So far, RMGI and ATR seem to be the only confirmed manufacturers selling in the US. In the UK, there's Zonal who seem to be making tape but don't seem to advertise the fact very well -- some retailers are selling it, who you can again find via G**gle, but Zonal themselves don't even appear to have a website! Quantegy are still selling tape via their website which seems to be remaining stock but they're still talking about getting back into manufacture (as they appear to have been saying for years now).
 
A couple of years ago I was in a 2nd hand store looking at a Akai R2R that was shot, marked $20. The owner walked over and said if you take the recorder "I'll throw those in", pointing to 2 cases of Quantegy 426 tape (40 reels in each box)

I threw the Akai in as a freebie to a guy who bought some speakers from me, and still have a case and a half of the tape unopened.
 
Of course, the more people that insist on only buying used Maxell and TDK on eBay, the less likely it is to happen. Ironic that one of tape's great strengths -- reusability -- might turn out to be its downfall...
 
New high quality tape

I too have had mixed luck with used tapes. I have had very good luck with new tape purchased from an ebay seller, the_little_warehouse. They have 12 inch pancakes, 5000' each pancake and 10 to a carton for $79. The tape is Quantegy 632, 1.5 mil meaning a 7 inch reel will hold 1200' and a 10.5 inch reel will hold 2400'. I'm on my second carton. Admittedly, getting the stuff onto other reels can require creative thinking as nothing but a studio deck will hold a 12 inch pancake. I rigged a Rube Goldberg contraption with a Revox A77 that works quite well.

If you're in the market for a better quality tape, I also make purchases from Splicit dot com, http://www.splicit.com/index.html where you can get 7 inch reels of RMG/EMTEC for ~$23 and 10 inch pancakes for ~$34. Both these are 1.0 mil; 1800 ft on 7" and 3600' on 10.5" reels. They also sell reels, both plastic & metal, boxes and all the accessories you need for tape.

The RMG/EMTEC tape is a very low noise tape, excellent for live recording. It also yields a 4 to 5 dB higher output than Maxell UD and TDK GX tapes, popular until the early nineties. It may even be as good as or better than TDK SA/EE although I have yet to make that comparison. I have but one reel of the TDK EE tape that, according to the seller, was recorded only once. However, it is still all of 15 to 20 years old so that comparison may be unfair.

Their prices are very competitive.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom