• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rumpled Technics turntable mat

VMcLA1

Active Member
BA27464B-EF91-4E17-A909-57AB2BD7AB46.jpeg Need some DIY suggestions - I have a Technics SL-1310 that was in storage for some time and it has a rumpled up mat I’ve had trouble un-rumpling. I’ve put it out in the sun and then sandwiched it between flat things and put weight on top. I’ve put it in the dryer to try to soften it up (not for super long - only about 15 minutes). It’s still pretty not flat. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm thinking maybe you just leave your albums out in the sun for a while so they are a perfect match :) :)

Maybe try laying it flat on the table and the hitting it a hair dryer or heat gun to see it those sections will flatten out? There is, of course, a chance you'll melt it if you overheat it, but it sounds like you've already exhausted all the safe options.
 
I have a Pioneer mat that has similar problem, but not as bad. Try boiling water. It works for rubber belts. I wanted to try but don't have a large enough pan. I've boiled rubber belts for 10 minutes, and it made them soft like new.
 
Thanks Peterp1 and redk9258 - both worthy suggestions. I think I have a pot large enough to try boiling, and I’ve got a heat gun here somewhere.
 
well?? the weights and sun and heat seem like the right idea but perhaps it may take a long time. ?? weeks? months?
 
Back
Top Bottom