• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rundown on the Yamaha YP-* TT Series?

I have a Yamaha YP-701. It weighs a TON, and it is a real beauty. It was certainly one of the finest turntables Yamaha ever made. I have a Shure V15 iii cartridge on it, and it sounds amazing. There was a great review of it in (I believe) 'Audio' magazine back in the day.

Btw, does anyone have a Yamaha YP-400 service manual or know where I could obtain a copy? Thank you.
 
Yes, the YP-701 is very nice. Recently sold a YP-801 in excellent condition to wajobu. As you state, a terrific build and souind from that TT.

You can purchase that manual here: http://www.servicemanuals.net/results.aspx?type=SM&brand=133&model=YP-701

BTW - as someone noted, the difference between the YP-D8 and YP-D10 appears to be only the method of feedback control on the speed end of things. The -D8 uses DC servo control and the -D10 has PLL.
 
One thing I was unaware of until recently, the D8 has no mechanical linkage between the platter and the motor - the platter sits right on the motor spindle. Are all DD TT's built like that? (I'm still new at this, prior to AK the only TT I owned came from "Sky City", a now defunct low-end chain store.) I understand belts and idler wheels, I guess I thought "DD" implied a gearing system, like the broadcast TT's.

Also, on the D8, the End-of-album lift is actuated by a photo-electric system that trips a solenoid to lift the arm and kill the motor. There is no mechanical interface between the tonearm and the platter for the shut-off system.
 
ozmoid said:
One thing I was unaware of until recently, the D8 has no mechanical linkage between the platter and the motor - the platter sits right on the motor spindle. Are all DD TT's built like that? (I'm still new at this, prior to AK the only TT I owned came from "Sky City", a now defunct low-end chain store.) I understand belts and idler wheels, I guess I thought "DD" implied a gearing system, like the broadcast TT's.

Also on the B8, the End-of-album lift is actuated by a photo-electric system that actuates a solenoid the lift the arm and kill the motor. There is no mechanical interface between the tonearm and the shut-off system.
That's what "direct drive" means--that the motor turns the platter. To my knowledge they're all like that.
 
ozmoid said:
Also on the -D8, the End-of-album lift is actuated by a photo-electric system that actuates a solenoid the lift the arm and kill the motor. There is no mechanical interface between the tonearm and the shut-off system.
Yes. All Yamaha TOTL and just below are like this. The arm is free of all mechanical linkages during play. End-of-play sensed optically and the lift is not attached to the TA, but only the lift arm. As all good TA should be.
 
Back
Top Bottom