• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Russian EL-84's

Superman541

Well-Known Member
I posted a question recently about EL-84 options and didn't get much response. I have a new question that is even more likely to go without a response but here goes:

I ordered a set of the Russian EL-84 tubes that have a good reputation, from Russia. They arrived today. Stamped on them is "6N14P" (I think the "N" is actually a Russian "P") and also the number "8911." These have a good reputation and were cheap ($30 for a matched quad). These at least meet 7189 specs, and perhaps 7189A.

Meanwhile, I ordered another matched quad from California of the same tube sold as EL-84M. These have an excellent reputation and were more spendy ($80 for the quad). Supposedly, they don't break up hardly at all and can handle higher voltage...and last longer. The amp and these tubes are at the tech shop, so I can't compare the two types of tubes visually but.......

Both appear to be just a tad fatter (22mm) than regular EL-84s. Here is what I wonder: I wonder if they are the same tube, or if the $80 set (EL-84M) is a different and better tube than the 7189 tubes that just came from Russia. Anybody have experience with these Russian EL-84's?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of these Russian 6P14P-EB tubes that I bought from a guy in Ukraine and they sounded very good in my Maggie DG-SE1. I think there are something like 3 variations on this tube. I think the difference is life expectancy. Right now I am using some EL84s from Holland and they sound very good in the same amp too. Right now the Ruskies are for back up but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
 
6P14P or 6P14P-EV is the Russian nomenclature for EL-84. As you mentioned П in cyrilic is P in english. I am waiting for a quad pair of 6P14P-EV i ordered recently. I guess lot of folks here have used these tubes.
 
Thank you. Perhaps the tubes in these two quads are different....the expensiver ones being the military grade (EL-84M). That is what I was expecting, but I was thrown off by the diameter. Both quad sets have the fatter 22mm glass. I'm looking forward to hearing them. Apparently, they sound good compared to.....arguably every other EL-84 ever made. ....according to reviews. <rolleyes>
 
The K version is vibration resistant, not longer life.

6P14P-E >1000hrs,
6P14P >3000hrs
6P14P-EV (EB) >5000hrs
6P14P-ER (EP) >10000hrs (But heaters load on PSU is (800mA) compared to every other EL84 type (760mA))

I did not try the EL84M that is suposeddly same as the EV tube, but any EL84 sound good to me.


PS Tubes lifespan is really conservative in some amps, i use 6P14P-EV for >15000hrs now in my Raphaelite DP84 (Made to restect standard EL84 specs at 296V plates 300V grids (per the schematics)), and they still test very strong.
 
Last edited:
I've been using a quad of the "EV" variety in my Fisher TA-600 receiver since 2009. They sound great, still test great after around 2000 hours. They are robust tubes. My TA runs them hard, never an issue.
 
I posted a question recently about EL-84 options and didn't get much response. I have a new question that is even more likely to go without a response but here goes:

I ordered a set of the Russian EL-84 tubes that have a good reputation, from Russia. They arrived today. Stamped on them is "6N14P" (I think the "N" is actually a Russian "P") and also the number "8911." These have a good reputation and were cheap ($30 for a matched quad). These at least meet 7189 specs, and perhaps 7189A.

Meanwhile, I ordered another matched quad from California of the same tube sold as EL-84M. These have an excellent reputation and were more spendy ($80 for the quad). Supposedly, they don't break up hardly at all and can handle higher voltage...and last longer. The amp and these tubes are at the tech shop, so I can't compare the two types of tubes visually but.......

Both appear to be just a tad fatter (22mm) than regular EL-84s. Here is what I wonder: I wonder if they are the same tube, or if the $80 set (EL-84M) is a different and better tube than the 7189 tubes that just came from Russia. Anybody have experience with these Russian EL-84's?

6П14П (6P14P) is the standard EL84-equivalent. I have never assumed that they are rated to 7189[A] specs. Whenever I need something with 7189[A] ratings, I go for the Sovtek EL84M, which, as far as I can tell, is new silk screen on the 6П14П-EB (6P14P-EV). Both are very good tubes, some of the better tubes that the Reflektor plant made (along with the 6П3С-E 6L6GC-alike-ish).
 
Just make sure you get them matched if you need matched tubes in your amp. I have a number of these things, and they're all over the board in terms of how they perform.
 
7189 / el84m 6p14p-ev have higher plate voltage ratings than 6p14p / el84 /6bq5.. 6p14p shouldnt be used for a 7189 amp. The other way is fine. The 6p14p-er is another variant. I like those a lot.
 
Last edited:
7189 / el84m 6p14p-ev have higher plate voltage ratings than 6p14p / el84 /6bq5.. 6p14p shouldnt be used for a 7189 amp. The other way is fine. The 6p14p-er is another variant. I like those a lot.
I disagree. I have used 6P14P-EV in my Scott LK-48 now for about 100 hr, without any problems. A friend has used them in his LK-48 for about 3000 hrs now , again, no problems. They are strong tubes.
 
The two of you are not in disagreement. dmag wrote that the 6P14P-EV can run at a higher voltage and thus can be subbed for a 7189. But don't use a standard 6P14P for a 7189. triode17 confirmed this works by using the 6P14P-EV in his Scott LK-48.
 
Old thread. New Question:

Post #6 shows four different types of 6p14p tubes. How can I tell which ones I have? Mine, a matched quad, came from Russia with laundry pen handwriting on the glass. Three numbers on each tube, with labels for someone who understands vacuum tubes. Printed on the glass, in rust-colored ink, is "6p14p" and then "8911." The "p" looks like an upside down capital "U," of course.

These tubes sound VERY good. They even seem louder than the EL84M (also Russian) tubes which came out of this amp today. I hesitate to say this about power tubes. I had imagined they all sound similar to one another, and that preamp tubes are the ones which affect sound quality. I swear these tubes just sound better.
 
The markings on the side will tell you. The other variants have different characters after the 6P14P. I've had the -EB and the "regular" ones.
 
They are plain 6P14P

89 11 is the year and month I guess

I think that sometimes there is just the year marked.
 
Power tubes do all sound simmilar to one another, with the exception being worn out power tubes. New power tubes will always sound better than worm out power tubes...
 
Tony - you've been listening to too many very loud trains. ;)

Rolled a matched pair of the Russian 6P14P into the current driver position in my Cary amp. They have had almost no effect on the sound to my ears (no surprise considering their position in the circuit). However, while I did not check the bias before, it was down almost exactly 10mA from the previous 161mA to 151mA, which I find interesting.
 
Do you mean, mV?
Nope. My Cary amps (current Rocket 88, previous SLI-80 & CAD-572SE MkIIs) are all mA and my previous CJ amp was an LED, which was likely volts, but no DVM required. The Manley Mahi was mV (250mV). With my even more previous McIntosh amps, MC75s, MC275 & MC30s, no bias setting required.

The Rocket 88 is 150-200mA, depending on the output tube used. The SLI-80 was 70ma and I've forgotten what the CAD-572 setting was.
 
Last edited:
The Rocket 88 uses an EL84 type as a driver. Outputs are one of the big tubes. KT88 or I think he's running an EL34 currently. I actually have his set of KT88 tubes at my place for the moment. Not sure if its direct coupled to the output stage or not, but if it affects output tube bias current my bet is "yes".
 
Back
Top Bottom