• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Rust on painted metal

It's normally much cheaper than having something professionally painted. It's more durable than paint.
 
I used one of the first "rust converters" back in the late '70s on a small part of the hood of a nearly brand new truck (pretty sure it was Rustoleum). No rust ever reappeared in that spot (I kept this truck for nearly 18 years). Been a believer in rust converters ever since.
 
Gotta love when things turn out okay. The first time around, it turns out I put waaaaaay too much paint on. It's been three days and the paint was not able to be sanded because it was still tacky. While I was pouting once more, I was picking at one of the fuzzies in the paint job, when my fingernail took up a little chunk of the paint. After poking a little more I realized I could get down to the metal with relative ease. Fifteen minutes later I had scraped off most of the paint with a scraper. And after 30 minutes wiping with mineral spirits all the paint was off and I was about back to square one with the exception o some minor scratches.

I took some advice from above and sanded with 220, masked, and tomorrow ill go to the store and get what I need to get this thing looking better than it has in years.

Monday my AT95e comes in, and from there...

Thanks for all the suggestions.
 
Last edited:
I'm officially hooked on hunting down dirty, dusty, rusty gear, fixing it up and putting it back out in the world as a polished gem.

So frustrating and fun. My first project is out the door to a super-excited buyer, and less than 24 hours later, I'll be using some of that money to perpetuate my new habit/hobby.

A JVC-JR-s401 and some Baby Advent IIs. Both need a little love, and they'll be back out into the world.

Thanks for the help. Always impressed with AKer's and their ability to field noobie questions.
 

Attachments

  • 00x0x_25eWtw0nXMs_600x450.jpg
    00x0x_25eWtw0nXMs_600x450.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 10
  • 00K0K_6RG6dNgIevQ_600x450.jpg
    00K0K_6RG6dNgIevQ_600x450.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom