• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SACD, AUDIO-DVD from LP's ?

krowmagnum

Compulsive speaker freak
Has anyone managed to get high bitrate recordings from LP's that can compare to SACD ? I've never seen any SACD recorders but I can burn AUDIO-DVD's on my Mac using Roxio's Toast at 96 KHz in 24bit stereo.

Is the 24bit AUDIO-DVD going to be as good as an SACD as long as I use a good uncompressed source ?

Will burning 24bit AUDIO-DVD's from LP's give the same results as an SACD ?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have used Audacity and you can do loseless I think Flacs etc but I don't have a player that will play them except the computer. I am sure it can be done but will they be SACD ? I bet it's a protected format. I use both a computer with audacity that saves as a .WAV file and a stand alone burner that makes .CDA/PCM files that are very high pretty true analog/digital sounding files. You will limited by how good the sourse is. My 2 cents
Dwight
 
SACD's are 24bit and I can burn 24bit AUDIO-DVD's on my computer so I'm assuming it would be as good on a player that has the AUDIO-DVD ability.

You are right about the source which is why I was thinking of using good clean vinyl as the source.

I've burned AUDIO-DVD's at 24bit with FLAC files and it does sound better than a regular CD on my DVD player but I have an SACD player coming in the mail so I can get a better comparison of the two when that arrives.
 
I'd think the quality compared to SACD would be highly dependent on the gear/hardware/software you used.

I have no doubt it could be pretty good, but I'd think you'd need to have some pretty TOTL stuff to make a SACD equivalent. Technically, it may not even be possible to do it because you'll have losses in your chain likely not present in the mfg of the original SACD.

It all boils down to preference vs accuracy. They're not necessarily the same...
 
SACD's are 24bit and I can burn 24bit AUDIO-DVD's on my computer so I'm assuming it would be as good on a player that has the AUDIO-DVD ability.

You are right about the source which is why I was thinking of using good clean vinyl as the source.

SACDs are actually 1 bit DSD....not 24 bit PCM. There are recorders out there that record in DSD, but the result is not a SACD but a DSD disc. Only a certain number of players can play back a DSD disc, including the just announced Sony SCD-XE800 SACD/CD player.
 
Many Sony Vaio computers can record to .dsf format, which is the same as DSD. Some, maybe all (?), PS3s can play this format if you drop them on a CDR in the proper format. I believe Tascam and Korg make machines that can record to dsf, as well.
 
There may be a misunderstanding here.

If you are trying to get the best digital conversion, then 24/96 .wav recording is the way to go. That does not mean your conversion recording is going to sound comparable to the same album in SACD or DVD-A.

This is similar to the idea that converting a 128kb mp3 file to a 320kb file will make it sound bettter. The fact is, every time you convert a lossy format (and analog vinyl is definitely lossy) , you lose some quality.

There is a huge amount of compression and EQing involved in mastering a recording to vinyl. That in itself means your starting point is a major step down from the master tape that hirez digital discs are directly recorded from.
 
There may be a misunderstanding here.

If you are trying to get the best digital conversion, then 24/96 .wav recording is the way to go. That does not mean your conversion recording is going to sound comparable to the same album in SACD or DVD-A.

This is similar to the idea that converting a 128kb mp3 file to a 320kb file will make it sound bettter. The fact is, every time you convert a lossy format (and analog vinyl is definitely lossy) , you lose some quality.

There is a huge amount of compression and EQing involved in mastering a recording to vinyl. That in itself means your starting point is a major step down from the master tape that hirez digital discs are directly recorded from.

I had a feeling it would never be the same.

So here I go again paying for copyright licenses for the same music I already paid for in vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette, then CD and now SACD. It never ends....
 
Back
Top Bottom