• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SAE Mark XXX Preamp

taineasy

Well-Known Member
Anyone had any success connecting an SAE Mark XXX preamp to anything other than an other SAE amp. The back of the SAE XXX only has Main Out RCA's. When I connect to Pre Out s on other amps it just hums loudly. When I connect it to the the inputs on the matching XXXIB it works fine.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have the opposite problem. I have an SAE Mark XXXIB that will not seem to work with any other Pre amp based on the above recommendation by IIwhtt.fd Cables from the amps Main-in to Main-out on the preamp just makes a loud noise.
 
Sounds like something is wrong. Had that same amp and could hook it up to other pre’s with no problems. Cabling as llwhtt said above.
 
Sounds like something is wrong. Had that same amp and could hook it up to other pre’s with no problems. Cabling as llwhtt said above.
Just tried to connect an SAE MK30 preamp to a Kenwood KA-7300 with no success. I have the SAE 31B and MK 30 preamp which work great TOGETHER but when I try to used the MK30 as a preamp only on the 7300 I just get noise. In summary MK30 outputs to main-in on the Kenwood is a NO GO. Any suggestions. Yes i have flipped the switch to separates from normal operation. I tried this on a Kenwood KA-4002, Marantz 2252b with the same issue.
 
Plug the SAE output into the Aux input and you will have two volume controls but should be able to verify the SAE works as a preamp into the Kenwood.

If you use this method you have two sets of controls and I’d set the Kenwood midrange and just use the preamp.
 
Got nothing using your method either. Just connected the MK30 up to the 31B and it sounds great. There is something about this preamp that won't allow connection to anything but the 31b. I have used dozens of separates over the years and this MK 30 does not like other amps.
 
Try the SAE tape out to the aux in. Just a test. Would point the finger at the line stage of the XXX.
 
Back
Top Bottom