• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SAE MARK XXXIB distorted channel, then loud buzzing.

I'm going to install a power switch but it needs to be polarized due to LED. so I'm going to install a two prong polarized cord or a three prong but I will not ground the chassis. I'm assuming grounding the chassis would not be a good idea. Since I will have the choice on what side the hot will be I'm also assuming hot should go to the fuse and the neutral should go to the thermal cut off correct?
 
Last edited:
I’d stick to two prong like it has and if I were doing it I’d go hot on the fuse. Seen it either way though on various electronics.
 
[Volume control. Correct me if im wrong]. I know this amp does not like RF frequencies. I have a four conductor shielded wire. can you look at the photo and let me know if this is acceptable? Basically, my question would be as if I can use that bear wire inside the wire as the common at both ends. So the rcas would have to bond to the amps input before going to the pot. The left and right in and out from the pot, but also grounded with bare common at the pot. If I have to, I'll use 2 lengths of this wire. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240303_092234_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_092234_Gallery.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 7
The power switch should always be on the hot side so that when the switch is off there is no power. If wired on the neutral side there will still be power in the amplifier even when switched off.
 
The power switch should always be on the hot side so that when the switch is off there is no power. If wired on the neutral side there will still be power in the amplifier even when switched off.
I get that thanks. That was my plan. I'm asking about the volume control. I only have four conductor shielded wire so I was trying to achieve it with one run but I would need to bond the common at the RCA and at the switch and also at the amp is that legit?
 
I have to be honest, I get an on/off switch but why mess with a “volume” control in it.
 
I need to adjust volume frequently. It's not a set it and forget it type situation. It's a unique situation where I could benefit from an easily accessible volume control. I just need to know if I can keep the signal grounds bonded at all points and not separated.
 
Last edited:
I'm assuming here that the rca signal ground can be chassis ground. Correct?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20240304_105254_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_105254_Drive.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
All I can say is I used 2 wire with a shield, shield hooked to "ground" wire on one end only and not the pot end.
 
The originals were 2N6284 and 2N6287, the 2N6284 is still available if not Back Ordered, the 2N6287 went obsolete a couple of years ago and tough to find. Hamrules listed the current transistors that will work. I just checked Mouser and all are in stock but only two of the MJ11015G. If you have shorted output transistors you'll want to replace the bias IC at the same time, CA3046 or CA3086. Cool little amp, I rebuild lots of them. Super simple also.

DON'T MIX the different pairs.

Craig
Repair success! I truly appreciate all the help. Pulled from the garbage back into service.
 
Back
Top Bottom