• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Same tonearm on SL-1200MK2 and SL1800MK2?

stewy

Active Member
I have an SL-1800MK2 with a noisy motor that I've been unable to diagnose despite my best efforts. I'm going to have a look at some SL-1200MK2's next week (the guy has 4).

So... in case the tonearms are messed up on all four of those decks I was thinking I might get one anyway if the motor is quiet and if I could mount my 1800mk2 tonearm in the 1200mk2 deck.

It looks like they're same exact tonearm I was wondering if anyone had any experience with swapping them.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes they are the same tonearm. The 1200mk2 is a good table (I own a 1200mk3d) however, the 1800mk2 you have has the suspended chassis (I own a 1600mk2, which is the same chassis), which is probably a benefit over the 1200mk2.

I would just swap motors from the 1200 to the 1800 if you can get the 1200 cheap.
 
Yeah that's another idea but there looks like there could be some difficult soldering involved in swapping the motors in these. Thanks for the reply!
 
Well first off as to changing the arm. The mounting, lets call it system is very different on the 1800MKII so you'd have to remove that first and then proceed. But the motors should be a much easier swap as the motor boards that they mount to are almost identical.
 
Back
Top Bottom