ironcoder
Active Member
A friend brought me his Sansui that had a bad left channel. Bad meaning low volume and distortion. I traced this down to a bad capacitor in the power amp. It was a simple electrolytic coupling capacitor with a value of 1 uf 100V. I did not have this size so I used a 10 uf 100V that worked fine. However, the measured distortion of this receiver was not optimal. I could not hear the distortion but I could measure it. The left channel was 0.05 and the right channel was 0.15. I spoke with the owner who owns a radio station and has some tech savvy. He did not want to spring for a complete recap and the truth be known, I would not do this for my own receiver. If I can't hear the difference why do I care? I am relamping per his request. This is not a high power receiver. I really like the design. It looks like it was made to make repairs easily. At the age of this receiver, I realize that it will need to be recapped at some point. His receiver came with a wood cover in pristine condition.
I recapped my own Nikko receiver I bought for 20 dollars at a garage sale. I could hear distortion in both channels. The change in distortion was very noticeable to my ears. Recapping is slow and must be done methodically. Meaning testing after replacing a couple of capacitors to insure you have not caused a problem during soldering. If you count the time to do this, it is very expensive. I am retired and my time is not a problem. I have to wonder how much people charge to do this very labour intensive repair.
I recapped my own Nikko receiver I bought for 20 dollars at a garage sale. I could hear distortion in both channels. The change in distortion was very noticeable to my ears. Recapping is slow and must be done methodically. Meaning testing after replacing a couple of capacitors to insure you have not caused a problem during soldering. If you count the time to do this, it is very expensive. I am retired and my time is not a problem. I have to wonder how much people charge to do this very labour intensive repair.