• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sansui 3000A

Just came across this post. There is a 3000a for sale in my area for $300. Looks very clean. Is that too steep or fair. I know the prices on many of these vintage amps have gone up quite a bit. Any info appreciated.
If the 3000a is really clean and works that is probably a good price. I have seen people asking between $150-$300 for units that don't work.
I currently own two 3000a's and they both sound amazing. I have one set up with my Sansui SR-4050c turntable to a Carver TFM-15 amplifier powering a set of POLK Audio SDA-2A's.IMG_5201.JPGIMG_5202.JPG
 
Couple of great photos there, @Billy1973. I've heard good things about the 3000A in both sound quality and very much more still in build quality (known stability issues notwithstanding). Looks like it was the model that bridged the period from the fairly rare TR-707A to the quite well known 5000. Did you put LEDs in it? The dial and mode indicators look quite vivid in the pictures, not sure if that was just the exposure or if they really are that bright.

One can already see the knob style used on the 5000 was established on these, yet the dial scale - and to a lesser extent the overall front panel design - and the rocker switches utilized - is more reminiscent of the TR-707 that preceded it. I'm always fascinate to study the evolutin of hi-fi aesthetics in this period. Very industrial and understated looking - almost like laboratory gear -versus the ostentstious look that became dominant in receivers by about 1978.

In any case, yet another heaping helping of Sansui cap coupled goodness with a lot of real metal sitting there. I'd guess it weighs as much or more than a 5000 which was only a year or so later in production: and it is a beastly heavy thing for it's overall size.
 
Couple of great photos there, @Billy1973. I've heard good things about the 3000A in both sound quality and very much more still in build quality (known stability issues notwithstanding). Looks like it was the model that bridged the period from the fairly rare TR-707A to the quite well known 5000. Did you put LEDs in it? The dial and mode indicators look quite vivid in the pictures, not sure if that was just the exposure or if they really are that bright.

One can already see the knob style used on the 5000 was established on these, yet the dial scale - and to a lesser extent the overall front panel design - and the rocker switches utilized - is more reminiscent of the TR-707 that preceded it. I'm always fascinate to study the evolutin of hi-fi aesthetics in this period. Very industrial and understated looking - almost like laboratory gear -versus the ostentstious look that became dominant in receivers by about 1978.

In any case, yet another heaping helping of Sansui cap coupled goodness with a lot of real metal sitting there. I'd guess it weighs as much or more than a 5000 which was only a year or so later in production: and it is a beastly heavy thing for it's overall size.

Hi, yes I upgraded the power, phono, and tape lamps with LED replacement bulbs. I also replaced the dial indicator lights with cool blue LED lights. I tried using warm white LED lights and they looked ok, but I thought the use of the cool blue LED lights made the dial indicator pop more.
 
Back
Top Bottom